induction hob and electric oven wiring...help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im looking for some help wiring an oven and hob

Im redoing my kitchen and putting in an eye level oven opposite where my current oven sits....i will be putting an induction hob where the current oven is now and using the existing mains wiring...

The existing wiring for the current oven is under the floor and i can see it runs into a round box ....im assuming this is a junction box.......can i simply run another cable from this junction box staight to the new oven or is it more complicated than this. ?

Thanks
Peter

Sponsored Links
It depends on the power requirements of the induction hob compared to the old oven. Induction hobs typically require a lot of power and if the original circuit was designed for a lower power device then it may not be suitable.

Can you find the power requirement for the existing oven (off the internet or off a label on its underside / rear), and for the new hob?

It will be the figure that is rated in amps (or "A") or in Watts / Kilowatts (or "KW").

Hi

Thanks for the reply Ill find out later and get back to you

Peter

Yeah , can almost guarantee that the current oven circuit will not be adequate to power both an induction hob and an oven.

You will probably have to add a new circuit for the hob.

Sponsored Links
Yeah , can almost guarantee that the current oven circuit will not be adequate to power both an induction hob and an oven.

Oh, really? How can you determine that without seeing the loads.

Lets say the existing circuit is 32A and the induction hob is 12KW, the oven is 3KW. Is the existing circuit big enough? What do you reckon….?

The induction hob is a 7.5kw........the new oven says 0.99kwh...........I've no idea what the oven that's there just now is as there's no label. ....its a solarflare or something

Lets say the existing circuit is 32A and the induction hob is 12KW, the oven is 3KW. Is the existing circuit big enough? What do you reckon….?

If the induction hob is 12KW max then a min circuit protection of 51A @ 240v or 53A @ 230v would be needed just for the hob without the oven being considered and cabling upgraded from an electric oven circuit that may be 32A on 6mm? Ok, I maybe assumed a lot without the OP supplying info on the current circuit so fair enough.

A lot of induction hobs have limiters, especially the budget ones. This means that if you add up the rings power individually you might get something daft like 8kw but it has a maximum at any one time of 5kw so it will not allow all the rings on full power at once

If the induction hob is 12KW max then a min circuit protection of 51A @ 240v or 53A @ 230v would be needed just for the hob without the oven being considered and cabling upgraded from an electric oven circuit that may be 32A on 6mm? Ok, I maybe assumed a lot without the OP supplying info on the current circuit so fair enough.
I suggest you might go and read up about "diversity".

Kind Regards, John

If the induction hob is 12KW max then a min circuit protection of 51A @ 240v or 53A @ 230v would be needed just for the hob without the oven being considered
You have missed the point of the question and...
A hob of 12kW @ 240V is 50A and 11kW and 47.9A @ 230V.

and cabling upgraded from an electric oven circuit that may be 32A on 6mm? Ok,
Nearly every cooker circuit in the country will be 30A/32A on 6mm² and is good for a cooker (hob and oven) of up to 15kW - with 5A allowance for an integral switch and socket - because of diversity. (19kW without socket)

Actually the 6mm² cable is a remnant of the use of BS3036 fuses and their derating factor.
Now, with a 32A MCB a 4mm² cable is adequate.

A lot of induction hobs have limiters, especially the budget ones. This means that if you add up the rings power individually you might get something daft like 8kw but it has a maximum at any one time of 5kw so it will not allow all the rings on full power at once
That is true - and I believe some even have a degree of such 'limiting' to the extent that they can be run via a 13A plug. However, even if the total load were 8kW (without any explicit 'limiting'), application of the concept of diversity would mean that it actually only amounted to an 'effective' load of 17A or so.

Kind Regards, John

Yup OK, was referencing on peak rather than diverse loading, just re-educated regarding cooking appliances.

Apologies for that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back