Induction hob - normal plug???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I just bought an induction hob as below

http://www.johnlewis.com/231660368/Product.aspx

The hob however, came with a normal 13A plug! Am I right in thinking I can plug this into a mains plug socket? I currently have a socket behind my oven which a heater is plugged into, and has it's own cut off switch on the wall. Will this be ok?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
According to this
http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/product/pia611t66b-bosch-exxcel-induction-hob-black-25066.aspx
"Requires Electrician To Hard Wire No
The hob doesn’t need to be hardwired, so it’s really easy to install"

With the quoted burner powers there must be some form of interlock to limit the total current drawn, otherwise it would not be suitable for use on a 13A socket.

I think it should be hardwired. The installation instructions show don't make any stiuplation about circuit requirements.

There are a number of configurable hobs on the market that allow a variation of supply powers. The one I downloaded instructions for had 13, 16, 20 amp options.

Clearly if you want to use all areas together it will need the higher supply. I would not get any induction hob with touch controls the whole idea of induction is fast reaction time and you just can't use touch controls fast so in spite of having a induction hob you still end up lifting the pan off the hob as the controls are too slow to use.

Give me knobs every time.

The heat settings seem very low. Mine has a 2.4kW, 3.6kW and 2 x 3kW I will admit other than to boil water I never use more than about 1.8kW but why buy a hob with such a low output?

There is always some interlock with the induction hobs so adding up the max outputs is rather pointless.

Bosch say:- Equipped with a 13A plug, and clever electronics to automatically share the available power between tha active zones, this Winning Line induction hob does not need to be hard wired, allowing quick and simple installation. The frameless design the hob provides a classic finish and features such as residual heat indicators, a timer for all zones and electronic touch control ensure this this ideal introduction to induction, either for new or replacement installations.

Rating is 2,990 W the installation guide is on line, but rather general.

If I was living in a bed sit then I would consider one but in normal house no I would buy a proper full size one. I tried mine compared to an electric kettle same amount of water in pan and kettle on 3kW ring time to boil is the same.

Sponsored Links
2 x 1.4 = 2.8.

2 x 1.8 = 3.6.

2.8 + 3.6 = 6.4.

But then I guess it's a cooking appliance, so diversity can be applied, and the standard formula makes it 15.35A.

Oh look - neatly within the 16A of a continental socket outlet.

NBG whatsoever for a 13A BS 1363....

clearly marked on manufacturers site as 2.9kW and we keep saying we should follow manufacturers recommendations.
Oh look - 12.6A @ 230V - handily within the limit of a 13A BS 1363.

It's as if some magic fairy dust has been applied, isn't it.

Either that or it's just cynical economy with the truth on the part of a manufacturer who wants to make his products look easy to install.

The reality of good design: Induction hob on a 13A plug? NFW.

so in spite of having a induction hob you still end up lifting the pan off the hob as the controls are too slow to use.
Or because you simply can't reach the b****y things.

Jonas - before you bought this hob, did you think about the reality of using it with a 30cm frying pan on it?

t3350621.jpg

Or how about the 32cm paella pan sold by Ikea - hardly an obscure seller of esoteric and unusual kitchen paraphernalia:

t3350622.jpg

Sorry, but your hob is truly a triumph of idiotic styling-led design over function. That it should come from a company like Bosch is shameful.

Nothing new the Baby Belling has been around for years. Near every place I have worked where we were given a shed for tea breaks we had a Baby Belling cooker. Today the Microwave has replaced them.

Clearly with very little waste with induction hobs they can get every last bit of power into the food but to put three pans on to boil and also try to seal some meat in the frying pan I think it would be very much on the limit.

I can put cold pans of water on my induction hob but my daughter uses gas and she boils the water first in the kettle as it is faster. To use that super low powered hob you would also have to do things like boil the water in a kettle first and I can see why some people are not impressed with induction hobs if they have used such a low powered model.

My son also cooks with gas. I take a flask of coffee to drink while I wait for kettle to boil on gas it is so slow. I have been spoilt now. I expect a high powered controllable safety featured hob. Keep getting told off for leaving my sons gas hob burning I forget it does not auto turn off.

So if your going to move into 21st Century then do it proper and get a real induction hob not the toy you have found.

Well that's a very good point Ban.

If I had not got a cooker with knobs and then tried to use my mothers with touch controls I may have not realised how silly they are.

They look good but are rubbish to use. My mother has only one leg so the kitchen was put in special so she could use it safely.

The controls are invisible when sitting in a wheel chair. And to switch off you needed to first select which area to control then press repeated to turn down the heat. By which time the pans boiled over and made it so non of the touch controls work until you have wiped up all the water. Completely impractical yet most seem to have these silly touch controls. Belling do both knobs and touch and some do magnetic knobs so you can remove to stop kids using hob and clean. Although not sure how they work?

My knobs have de tents in both directions one turns on auto boil then simmer the other the boost for boiling water. Can't see how you would do that with magnetic types?

thanks for you help guys.

I've been using it plugged into a socket (that was a dedicated socket for a kitchen heater.) I also discovered that my oven which is about 10 years old is a plug and play one too.

I've heated a pot of water and it seems to work at kettle speed, so not too worried about the power, however I'm yet to test with 4 simultaneous hobs on - not a scenario I normally use anyway!!

With regards to the 30cm pans, yes I knew that would be an issue, but I haven't got much choice here. My flat has no gas supply, and I don't particularly like ceramic hobs due to the safety issue. As long as most of the pan gets heated up by the induction hob, I'm not too worried! (but yes, I would call it poor design - a common feature of today's world)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back