Installation of oven and gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am installing an oven rated at 2700watts. I am also wiring the spark generator for the gas hob. I will be running a new radial and would like to know may I run both from a 2.5mm T&E or do I need to run a 6mm T&E.

Regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
Twin and earth cable has a variable rating according to how installed. So for Reference Method 103# (in a stud wall with thermal insulation with cable not touching the inner wall surface) the rating would be 13.5 A for 2.5 mm sq twin and earth which is 70degC thermoplastic insulated. So likely 2.5 mm sq will do the job but it is really up to the designer to select the cable.

Yes, you may do as you suggest.

However, 4mm² (or larger) will remove any worries about the cable run.

Use a 16A mcb and the circuit will have to be protected by an RCD.

This work is notifiable to the Local Authority Building Control.

2700 / 240 = 11.25 so 2.5mm te would do however i would 4.0mm te or 6mmte as this will allow you to carry 32a using 4mm or 40a using 6mm allowing for future upgrades, the wire should be radial, run straight from consumer unit, into a isolator and then into socket or spur.

Sponsored Links
But still use a 16A mcb otherwise you will have to fuse down to protect the cables to the oven and hob.

thankyou EFLImpudence for reminding me regading 16a mcb as it is radial circuit.

regading 16a mcb as it is radial circuit.
Not because it's a radial.

What you wrote was perfectly correct and ok if FreddieDIY uses socket or FCU.

I just thought keeping to 16A would be better in case he hardwires the oven or hob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back