installing outdoor light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install a outdoor light could I just add it onto a light near the door it has a live neutral and earth
or do I have to dig up the floorboards as I live in 1 bed flat convert from house
Haven't done this before all advise given will be really appreciated

Sponsored Links
If you have a neutral, phase and earth and a circuit rated at 5A or 6A, you should be okay.
There are requirements though:
The external cable must be suitable for it's environment or protected against those influences.
If the light cable is buried in wall it will require RCD protection and any cables buried in walls less than 50mm, should be routed in safe zones or be mechanically protected, chases in walls on vertical chases no more than 1/3rd the depth of the wall/leaf, horizontal no more than 1/6th the depth.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route
The external cable should be directly terminated in to the light fitting with no junctions and fixed to the walls of the dwelling or notification to building controls will be required.
Also you must make sure, that this addition will not create an overload on the circuit.

How will I check if circuit rated at 5A or 6A, and wire will go straight through wall also how could I find out if it will overload

The rating of the circuit you are adding too, the fuse/breaker will have a rating. Normally lighting circuits are 5A/6A, sometime 10A.
The standard cable sizing would be 1.00mm which can carry a max current of 16A providing no de-ratings, such as thermal insulation or installed in conduit.

The load will be calculated by the potential output power of the circuit,
this is the total watts value. Add up the total watts used on the circuit, this value will be on the lamps ie 60Watts could be one or more per fitting add them all up.
A 6amp circuit can handle 1380 watts.
General rule of thumb was twelve lamps per circuit.

Sponsored Links
Ah.

If you are coming off the terminals that that lamp is attached to, yes.

There is more too, I'm afraid.

What sort of light do you have in mind?
How will it be switched on and off?

Will the light only work when the hallway light is on?
What sort of set up do you have, if have loop in phase and neutrals at the fitting/accessories you can take a feed to a isolator/switch.
If you don't have loop in phase and neutrals, it either wont work or the outside light will only come on when the hall does.
Check WIki! for understanding light circuits.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

The external cable should be directly terminated in to the light fitting with no junctions and fixed to the walls of the dwelling or notification to building controls will be required.
The correct interpretation of the law (which is unambiguous) is that outside lighting is notifiable, end of.

Approved Document P erroneously allows an exemption if all the cables are indoors, so fixing it externally won't do.

Approved Document P erroneously allows an exemption if all the cables are indoors, so fixing it externally won't do.

No what it states is "i, The installation of equipment attached to the outside wall of a house (for example security lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon fans) is not notifiable provided that there are no exposed out door connections and the work does not involve the installation of a new circuit or an extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation."

So providing that there are no "exposed connections" outside and is not supplied from "kitchen or special location" then it is not notifiable. But then this is contravened by "g, Outdoor lighting and power installations are special installations. Any new work in, for example, the garden or that involves crossing the garden is notifiable."

So depending on the nature and location of the outside light ie, security lighting or general purpose lighting will depend which of the above you will follow. That would be my interpretation of the above 2 statements given that security lighting has been stated as being exempt even though outdoor lighting seems to be a special installation. Quite confusing though and I'm sure open to differing interpretations here.

No what it states is "i, The installation of equipment attached to the outside wall of a house (for example security lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon fans) is not notifiable provided that there are no exposed out door connections ....
Note the highlighted part.

The external cable should be directly terminated in to the light fitting with no junctions and fixed to the walls of the dwelling ...
That's an exposed outdoor connection.

No what it states is "i, The installation of equipment attached to the outside wall of a house (for example security lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon fans) is not notifiable provided that there are no exposed out door connections ....
Note the highlighted part.

The external cable should be directly terminated in to the light fitting with no junctions and fixed to the walls of the dwelling ...
That's an exposed outdoor connection.

Fixing cables to a wall does not in my mind consist of an outdoor connection. Can you please elaborate why it may be classed as an exposed outdoor connection?

It's exposed.

It's outdoors.

It's a connection between two electrical items.

If you don't think it is an "exposed outdoor connection", what do you think an "exposed outdoor connection" is?

I get what your saying in regards to the cable being the connection between the switch and the fitting. I would say an exposed outdoor connection would be a junction box or similar out doors between the switch and the fitting where the cable has been connected/jointed and is not part of the enclosure of the light.

Given that such a JB would need to have the same IP rating as the lights, what would be the logic in deciding that 3 sets of terminals and 2 cables is notifiable, but 2 sets and 1 cable is not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back