insulate gu10 fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i done my kitchen out a few years ago and fitted standard gu10 bulbs in there. Having being a single storey extension and no insulation i get a hell of a lot of draft coming through all the fittings in winter its freezing out there.

I did think about fireproof hoods but the void is not big enough. I was thinking of getting the fire proof / rated gu10 fittings. Would this help to reduce the amount of air coming through each fitting? I have led cob bulbs in them at the moment. Many thanks. Lee

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of getting the fire proof / rated gu10 fittings. Would this help to reduce the amount of air coming through each fitting?
Might reduce it; won't stop it until the house catches fire.

Replace the downlights with plasterboard.

is there any other advice that i can have? really want to get this sorted before the cold winter nights, the wind actually howls through the fittings

Not really. You have holes in your ceiling.

Unless you can block where the draught is coming in (not likely) then there isn't much you can do because the lights need ventilation or they will overheat.
Not to mention fumes and water vapour entering the void.

You really should not (today) have a single storey extension without insulation.
If there were insulation when built then downlights would not have been allowed.

What about some surface mounted lights?
This would still require repair of the holes.

Sorry.

Sponsored Links
yeh the best way is to replace the roof maybe next year as its old house it is asbestos, there is a little bit of lagging there from when the cavity was filled hardly anything though. maybe hole saw plus plasterboard it is for the time being

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back