Is the busbar connected to the main switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may seem a retarded question, but as I am not an electrician I need to be sure of what I am doing. Can somebody please take a look at the pics. The breakers you see are the upstairs lights (left) and upstairs sockets (right). Then the main switch.

The upstairs lights went off, so I had a look and noticed the busbar was loose, so, I tried to re-attach it, but it fell, and now I am not sure whether it is attached to the main switch or not. I guess it is due to there being an exposed busbar connection to the left.

In a nutshel then. Does the busbar attach to the main switch, and the 2 breakers?

Thank you in advance

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2eme9o6&s=8#.U4NHM_mICSo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2woj444&s=8#.U4NGwvmICSo

Sponsored Links
The short answer is 'yes', but if you need to ask the question, then I would seriously suggest that you should probably seek some professional assistance - there are live parts in a CU even when the main switch is'off' - and, if that busbar was falling off, goodness only knows what other potentially dangerous things may be going on!

Kind Regards, John

With the power off the bus bar needs moving to the right by one place.

So the bus bar and red wire go into the same switch terminal.

Once in and screw tightened you need to ensure they are secure.

2woj444.jpg

Cheers, with the power switched off, is that red wire okay to touch with the busbar while attaching?

Yes, I know the question highlighted my lack of knowledge here, but I am learning something new.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, with the power switched off, is that red wire okay to touch with the busbar while attaching?
Yes. As you've been told, both the red wire and the end prong of the busbar need to be securely attached, together, to the main switch terminal.
Yes, I know the question highlighted my lack of knowledge here, but I am learning something new.
It's rather worrying for someone with such a lack of knowledge to be tackling such work, but if you are going to do it, make sure you keep well away from the top of the main switch and the cables connected to it - they are always live, even when the switch is off.

Kind Regards, John

Does the consumer unit have RCD protection? could you post a picture showing all the internals of the CU?
You have a red cable coming from the switched side of the main isolator, where does it go to?
It may be that the busbar does not terminate at the main switch but at an RCD/RCCB. Please expand your picture.
Have you altered anything from the way the components were set up prior to busbar dropping?

Done it lads, thanks for the help. Seems the mrs chuck some stuff in the cupboard and the busbar game loose, worrying I know, but it's tight now.

The RCD is on the left hand side with another set of breakers for downstairs. Should there be an RCD for upstairs too?

No it does have a cover. And a flip lid. She chucked some scooters in there she said.

The RCD is on the left hand side with another set of breakers for downstairs. Should there be an RCD for upstairs too?
Would depend when it was installed, the regulations changed in 2008 but as you have old version of wiring colours within the board, I would suspect the board and circuits connected to it are over 10 years old.
It would be wise to have at least the bathroom covered by RCD protection, so if bathroom, shower room, en-suites are upstairs it is a consideration that I would take if they are not covered by RCD protection.

Another thing to check out would be the age of the Wylex NSB06 as there was a product recall on them in between April 2009 and Feb 2010.
I doubt yours would be dated between them dates, but nothing wrong in double checking.
They also recalled the NSB 10A and 16A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back