Kitchen ceiling roof leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Thank you for reading my post.

I have a light, occasional leak that's recently started coming through my kitchen ceiling light fixture. I've had a local handyman go up into the roof to investigate, but he couldn't find where it was coming from. He's therefore recommended that I consult an electrician next to investigate further.

Would you agree? Particularly, do I not need to deal with the source of the leak as well as have it inspected by an electrician?

To give some background I live in one of six flats, which I own, in a big old house. The roof was replaced a few years ago, and both the handyman and the roofing surveyor that signed the job off at the time agreed that the roof replacement was excellent. However, the water is coming from somewhere. And it's also somewhat unpredictable.

For example, it may be raining hard and nothing comes through. Or it's raining light and it's leaking. I guess it could be travelling from somewhere, but I'm not sure what to do next. Unfortunately I cannot get into the roof to investigate myself, as I have a medical condition that prevents me from doing so. Therefore I am reliant on the advice and expertise of others; hence this post.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, as it starting to worry me. Particularly as a small crack has appeared next to the light fixture.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You need a roofer to get up and identify and repair the source of the leak. All an electrician can do is make sure the wiring is safe, but that's still going to leave you with a leak which is going to cause more damage the longer it is left.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks for confirming.

Hello,
I've had a local handyman go up into the roof to investigate, but he couldn't find where it was coming from. He's therefore recommended that I consult an electrician next to investigate further.

Lucky you did not call him for a gas leak - hight have told you to get a chippie in!
He sounds a bit of an illogical thinker - please be careful when selecting a roofer- try and find someone that has been recommended to you.

Sponsored Links
Water Ingrees is caused by a number of things:
Roof, windows, wall vents, guttering, drainpipe, pointing...... the list could go on. You live in flats, the source could even possibly be related to a neighbouring flat, ask any of the adjoining residence, if they incur an ingress problem?
You need to find the source of this, before any electrical remedial work can be carried out.
Call an experience roofer or builder not a handyman!
If problem does persist, as a safety precaution I would suggest isolation that part of the circuit where the light is.

Thanks again for your replies.

I agree about taking care selecting a roofer - we've had some real problems with unscrupulous roofers before.

I thought I'd ask our local handyman first, in case it was something easy and obvious that he could do, as he is, errr, quite handy.

But yes I agree, a roofer and an electrician will both be required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back