DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Kitchen Wiring Assistance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
scousespark

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote

JohnW2 wrote:
scousespark wrote:
I don't think the LABC is interested in whether a joint is accessible.

That's worth knowing. Are you saying that if I notify some work which I then undertake by putting conventional JBs under my floorboards and nailing them down, that the LABC will have no problem with that?

Kind Regards, John.

No I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the LABC in spectors don't get that deeply involved. They take the word of the electrician who
signs off the installation.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
JohnW2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote

scousespark wrote:
No I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the LABC in spectors don't get that deeply involved. They take the word of the electrician who signs off the installation.

Indeed, but we're playing with words here. LABC have the ultimately responsibility for ensuring that Part P has been complied with. How they satisfy themselves of that compliance is up to them. My point (per my 'rhetorical question') was that they obviously must have an 'interest' in what is, and is not, accessible, even if they delegate the decision to an electrician who is not an employee of 'LABC'.

Kind Regards, John.
 Alert Moderators
mikhailfaradayski

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Why don't you call your local LABC to discuss the issue, find out if they actually give a monkeys?

I'm sure they'll be happy to discuss it at length with you icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
ban-all-sheds

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote

JohnW2 wrote:
Indeed, but we're playing with words here. LABC have the ultimately responsibility for ensuring that Part P has been complied with. How they satisfy themselves of that compliance is up to them. My point (per my 'rhetorical question') was that they obviously must have an 'interest' in what is, and is not, accessible, even if they delegate the decision to an electrician who is not an employee of 'LABC'.

You face 2 problems here.

1) The inability of an awful lot of people to distinguish between "have an interest in" and "be interested in".

2) The fact that councils employ people to check compliance with Part P who are not competent to do so.
 Alert Moderators
scousespark

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote

JohnW2 wrote:
scousespark wrote:
No I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the LABC in spectors don't get that deeply involved. They take the word of the electrician who signs off the installation.

Kind Regards, John.

The inspector just wants to know it's safe. It doesn't matter to him/her that a JB is in a circuit. That's a relevant as whether the circuit is RCD protected or buried deep enough.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: