Knee pad recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Not much response from the carpet fitters, so it's back to you lot!

I need to get some new knee pads. I use ones that fit in my knee pad trousers. I have been using these Snickers ones

http://www.snickersdirect.co.uk/sni...knee-pads-9117-snickers-kneepads-p-76160.html

But they've got a bit 'thin'. I could just buy a new pair but wondered if there was anything better out there?

Has anyone tried these Redbacks ones?

http://www.industrialworkwear.com/c...ng-knee-pads?gclid=CMLzr6iLt60CFUJItAodBzEqnA

Comfort in working as well as knee protection is also important.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

SB (with sore knees)

Sponsored Links
So some trousers have a pocket in them for kneepads? I could certainly use somthing like that. How do I know that they have them, as it doesn't look as though the feature is especially promoted? 'Re-enforced knees' I have seen, but not 'pockets'.

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
I think all snickers trousers have them, as do quite a few by dickies, scruffs, helly hansen, and im sure plenty of others.

I've got a couple of pairs of Dickies.

If you can find a workwear shop selling different makes I'd advise trying them on for fit first - it wasn't until I got mine via t'internet that I realised there's a new factor with trousers like that - apart from waist and leg measurements, there's also "are the knees in the right place?", and for me the Dickies aren't quite - I have to pull them up a little before I kneel down, or I find the pads aren't under my knees.

Still much better than the strap-ons which cut into the backs of your knees after a while.

Comfort in working as well as knee protection is also important.
In case you sometimes need to sit on the floor as well as kneel....

100833629.jpg

Hmm so maybe not that many of your use them? My knees are so knobbly that I could use them to drill pilot holes in wood... well almost!

maybe I'll try a pair of the Redbackers as they're not too expensive and report back.

Having shopped around I now buy Fristads work trousers - used to only fit into the 'ladies' ones, but this year due to slightly expanded waistline have upgraded to the smallest size 'blokes'. The cheeky thing is that despite using more fabric, they are cheaper! Discrimination or what!

:LOL:

Thanks for the link Ban - but I don't tend to spend much time sitting around....

Possibly a bit late now but I wear snickers, and use the foam knee pads with a blue backing. They last longer than the grey ones, but I stll seem to have worn them out within a couple of months, and I do try to sit rather than kneel where ever possible.

The floor layers knee pads are like a Kevlar type outer and really thick I'm not 100% if they will go in standard pockets as there is floor layers trousers avalible or if you do get em in I'm not sure how often you want to be takin them out !!
I use snickers aswell. I have tried most trousers and snickers are the best and one of the most expensive. Last ones I bought were the XTR ones and they are awesome (sad I know) the knees are already padded and they take the knee pads R.F. posted about. Wait for it they cost £90
I don't know if it is against forum rules but my local tool hire company are doing a promo for Jan on all snickers trousers every pair you buy they write you a cheque for £20 !!
Your limited to 5 pairs and the cheque comes from snickers parent company (Hullfators).
If anyone is interested I could give you their number they are a licenced snickers stockist. Might charge for postage though.

Well in that case it's ACE LINE PLANT : 01889 574044 tell them dean said to ring not that it will help you I just might be able to scrounge somthing next time I go in. :eek:p

I am a DIYer, and used those big knee pad things and the elastic does bite the back of your knees... firstly, i think the trousers with the inserted pads would probably be best, but if not, and you want to use knee pads, wear quite baggy trousers. That way they cushion the elastic a bit, plus if you have them looser, then the baggyness tends to stop them sliding down so much.

However, why i really posted is because i recently say a floor fitter and he didn't wear knee pands, he wore shin pads !!!! Quite long things, but when he knelt down, his whole shin rested on the pads. Plus, they had two broad elastic straps that fixed around the top and bottom of his calf...

Although he did say he got them from the US... so you may have to look around a bit, but just the job !!

For DIY I always try and wear my Dickies Redhawk trousers with knee pad pockets in them, I find that this is much better than those that wrap around the back of the knee.

Given that I now have arthritic knees (From working in t'mill as a lad) its a lot better with them - I have 3 pairs of trousers and just swap the pads between them.

Although I think I need a larger pair now (or to go on a diet) :D

I got mine here so you can see that they are not going to cost the earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back