Landing and bathroom light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

I need some wiring wisdom for my landing/bathroom light switches.

The wiring has been confused....I can get each of the switches to work the lights, but when all looks good the hall switch will not turn off the landing light......tis driving me mad!

Below is the picture of the wires for the 2 way 2 gang landing switch.

The lower 3 wires are from the hall switch which is untouched and are as follows in the downstairs switch ;

Red = common
Yellow = L1
Blue = L2

The upper right are the 3 wires (tagged with green) from the bathroom light ;

Red I assume is the live, connected to upper circuit red wires
Yellow and blue are connected to the light.
Blue then connects to the upper circuit blue/black
The yellow only to the light

The 2 upper left wires, blue and red are connected to the landing light.

I have tried about 50 combinations and for the life of me cannot get the switches all working independently.

Any help would be massively appreciated[/img]

Sponsored Links
Here it is:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

The wiring has been confused....
By whom? Why?

I can get each of the switches to work the lights, but when all looks good the hall switch will not turn off the landing light......tis driving me mad!

Don't assume - establish for sure.

Are you sure about that?

Whereabouts?

If what you're doing is replacing a switch, did the old one have any links between its terminals?

I have tried about 50 combinations and for the life of me cannot get the switches all working independently.
You've got to stop trying things at random, hoping to find the right combinations by chance. Doing electrical work without a good understanding and hoping to get lucky is extraordinarily inadvisable.

Basically there are two correct methods to use to resolve your problem.

METHOD A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  • Given your knowledge of how it works and your knowledge of which wires are which, connect them up appropriately.
METHOD B:
  • Get an electrician.

Hello all!

The wiring has been confused....I can get each of the switches to work the lights, but when all looks good the hall switch will not turn off the landing light......tis driving me mad!

The lower 3 wires are from the hall switch which is untouched and are as follows in the downstairs switch ;

Red = common
Yellow = L1
Blue = L2

The upper right are the 3 wires (tagged with green) from the bathroom light ;

Yellow and blue are connected to the light.
The yellow only to the light

Any help would be massively appreciated[/img]

you may have tagged wrong cables.
Two upper left wires appear to be the bathroom light, (I take it there is not a two way switch in the bathroom. Check Bathroom light fitting, there will only be Red/Blue plus earth )
The Upper right Cables would be Hall/Landing light, the yellow wire being the loop for two way switching.

We have been renovating my hse for the past 18 months, I have mixed the wires.
The red is the live, I have checked with a multi it reads 240volt.

The blue connects to the upper blue black and red to the live ring as I have been into the loft and checked the full routing to the bathroom light.

I have tried to educate myself with previous forums- all of which I thought would work but don't.

I am not hoping to get lucky but trying to understand where I am going wrong with the help of someone who is more experienced.

If this does fail I will get a sparky which is easier said than done because they seem to deem it a small job not worthy of their attendance.

Sponsored Links
Hi Bosswhite.

No I have definitely established the right wires, I lit a circuit with solely the bathroom light to ensure they were correct. The upper left are the landing light as I pulled them from the loft thru the conduit to ensure.

The blue connects to the upper blue black
So it's a neutral. Dunno why it's at the switch - don't connect it to any terminals, make it safe in a small piece of choc-block. Ditto the unused yellow in the landing light cable.

and red to the live ring as I have been into the loft and checked the full routing to the bathroom light.
And yellow is the switched live.

Does it not work when connected to the switch?

when all looks good the hall switch will not turn off the landing light
So you've verified that the red & blue are permanent and switched live, you've connected them and the 3C+E strapper in the correct way given which core of the 3C+E goes where in the hall switch, and it doesn't work?

Are you sure that you're pairing up the right COMs, L1s & L2s (or L1s, L2 & L3s) in your 2-gang switch?

Post a photo of it connected up.

I've locked the wires in as you said ;

The bathroom light neutral is chocked with the green tab

The 240 live is in the common for the bathroom switch and linked to the 2nd common

The yellow with the green tab from the bathroom is in the L1 switch

On the 2nd gang for the landing light I have placed the red in the common
Yellow in L1 and blue L2 as per the switch downstairs

The red and blue from the landing light are - Red= L1 and Blue= L2

The cb is not tripping but no lights are working.

If I place the blue from the landing light into the choc bloc the lights illuminate.
Bathroom independently.
But the landing will switch on from downstairs and on/off upstairs, but if I leave it on upstairs it will not turn off with the downstairs switch.

I have extended the lower 3c with a chock block for visual as the original wiring is tight as a ducks ass to the wall- these are the 3c from downstairs switch.

Please accept my thanks, help is massively appreciated. I am not being ignorant if I do not reply this evening but I am off to work the joy of nights! Thanks

Remove the link.

If the bathroom light stops working -
replace between bathroom common and the two reds in the landing switch.

So you've verified that the red & blue are permanent and switched live?
You haven't, have you.

Because now it sounds as if the blue is the neutral loop, and must originally have been connected to the other blue:
If I place the blue from the landing light into the choc bloc the lights illuminate.
But then why didn't you know that?

So is the red the switched live for the landing light? Does the landing light switch get its permanent live from the one in the bathroom cable?

PLEASE FIND OUT WHAT EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THE CONDUCTORS IS FOR.

The 240 live is in the common for the bathroom switch and linked to the 2nd common
But COM is not where the permanent live goes in a 2-way switch...

The red and blue from the landing light are - Red= L1 and Blue= L2
If you put the blue there then you must think that it is a live (either permanent or switched).

Why did you connect what you thought were a live and a neutral together? :eek:

Take a step back, and properly identify each and every one of the 9 non-earth conductors entering that box.

It may be like that in the ground floor switch, but that's not how it goes up on the landing....

If I understand what has been written so far, the following is correct:

there are three 3 core and earth cables at this switch position: two going to the loft and one going down.

The one going down is the 3 core for the landing switch downstairs.

The two blues in the cables going up are both neutrals.

One of the cables going up is the switchwire for the landing light and the other is the switchwire for the bathroom light.

If all these points are true, you need to ID which is the bathroom switchwire.

Then, the red of the bathroom switchwire goes in the common terminal of the bathroom switch, the yellow in L1 of the same switch.

The two blues from the cables going up get connected to each other.

The red and yellow of the other cable going up go one each to L1 and L2 of the landing switch, along with the yellow and blue of the cable going down.

The red of the 3 core going down goes to the common of the landing switch.

Don't forget to sleeve the cpc's and terminate them securely in the box, add a red marker to all yellow and blue cores and fit grommets to all cable entries on the metal box.

Was that yellow taped up in the back never used?

Can you confirm the connections in the landing light fitting?

Going by the vague information, I would assume this (but please confirm what is happening in the landing light fitting).

1350455654.png

It may be like that in the ground floor switch, but that's not how it goes up on the landing....
It is - he has wired the strapper correctly. He may have L1 & L2 swapped, but that's only a problem to the anally retentive.

Afternoon,

A quick one first.....'Ban all sheds'
I haven't once claimed to be a sparky, merely asking for help and a bit of wisdom to understand were I am going wrong.

I'm not on here to be patronized by some 'wish they were the nasty school teacher'.
Your not on here to help, only to big yourself up.
Go and watch DIY SOS and bemoan them on how they do things cos I'm not interested in your comments.

Thanks to all the other guy's for your help.

I'll try to explain a bit better :

The 2 wires upper left blue and red are direct to the fitting of the landing light, they had used 3 core but the yellow is chocked at both ends- this is the yellow chocked and wrapped with green tape at the back of the box.

The 3 core wires upper right, I have traced into the loft and are as follows ;

Red runs into a chock box with several other red at the bathroom light fitting. I have used the multi and this reads 240v.

The yellow runs directly to the bathroom light fitting.

The blue runs into a chock box with blue/black and then onto the other bathroom light fitting terminal.

The lower 3 core are from the downstairs switch ;

Red is in the common at the switch

Yellow in L1

Blue L2

Hope this is a bit clearer, by lectricians diagram I have had the common linked wrong? I had them common to common

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back