LED bulbs flicker when turning off new glass light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently fitted this light switch:

http://www.theinternetelectricalsto...al-light-switch-1-way-black-glass-35773-p.asp

With these bulbs in a ceiling fan light:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KQNKH5Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please note that everything worked perfectly fine with a standard light switch and the LED bulbs.

This switch comes with a note saying "A single flash occurs when the standby current of the light switch is more than the standby current of the bulb, when the switch is off (especially for bulbs which are less than 5W). To solve this issue get an electrician to remove the light fitting and add the included capacitor inbetween the neutral and live connections"

My light turns on fine, but when turning it off, the LED bulbs flicker 2 or 3 times before they turn off... Even with this supplied capacitor fitted.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? And more importantly, is this likely to cause any damage to the bulbs / their lifespan? If it is not harmful to the bulbs then I am not too fussed, although it will still be nice to find a solution.

Anyone able to answer the above questions please?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
This switch comes with a note saying "A single flash occurs when the standby current of the light switch is more than the standby current of the bulb, when the switch is off (especially for bulbs which are less than 5W). To solve this issue get an electrician to remove the light fitting and add the included capacitor inbetween the neutral and live connections". ... My light turns on fine, but when turning it off, the LED bulbs flicker 2 or 3 times before they turn off... Even with this supplied capacitor fitted. ... Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? And more importantly, is this likely to cause any damage to the bulbs / their lifespan? If it is not harmful to the bulbs then I am not too fussed, although it will still be nice to find a solution.
I suspect that you may be experiencing a 'swings and roundabouts' phenomenon - i.e. the price you're paying for the capacitor preventing the lights flashing whilst they are switched off might well be that the very same capacitor is causing a flash or two just after the switch is turned off! I personally would probably just live with it, not the least since I'm not sure what other solution there could be (a resistor in series with the capacitor might help, but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it)!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the response

Do you think it will cause any harm to the bulbs? If not... I'll probably just leave it then.

Thanks for the response ... Do you think it will cause any harm to the bulbs? If not... I'll probably just leave it then.
I very much doubt that it would harm the bulbs/lamps - which is one of the reasons why I would personally probably just live with it.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back