light switch in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone tell me the min distance from a light switch to basin taps in a bathroom, the consumer unit is fairly new & incorporates rcd's, if that makes any difference.

alan

Sponsored Links
The zones in a bathroom refer to baths and shower trays. I don't think that bs7671 state min distances from basins.

Bathroom zones are shown in the WIKI at
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones

Note re putting a switch in the bathroom:
1. this is notifiable work (probably cheaper to use a registered electrician)
2. make sure that the bathroom lighting circuit is covered by an RCD. The RCD in your consumer unit may only relate to socket circuits.
3. the switch must be suitable for the environment

The switch is already there it's about 600mm higher than the basin on a side wall, the basin is fitted in a corner, this switch opperates a downlight over the basin, I think the rcd's are on all circuits, if they are is it safe?

Sponsored Links
The switch is already there it's about 600mm higher than the basin on a side wall, the basin is fitted in a corner, this switch opperates a downlight over the basin, I think the rcd's are on all circuits, if they are is it safe?

Should be fine. Wouldn't even get a mention if I was carrying out an EICR!

The zones in a bathroom refer to baths and shower trays. I don't think that bs7671 state min distances from basins.

Vibro,

I can confirm that section 701 (locations containing a bath or shower) does not give mention of basins regarding the positions of electrical equipment.
Although chapter 51 (common rules) does give mention of external influences and that equipment should be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used for.

In this case the op states that there is the possibility of additional protection by means of an RCD.

The term 'EICR' to the op may mean?

Also if you are carrying out electrical installation condition reports then you should know that BS7671 does not stipulate minimum distances from basins in rooms containing a bath or shower.

Couldnt have put it better myself. Regulation 512.2 is more appropriate in this case.
Vibro have a look at section 701 as this provides diagrams of the zones for rooms containing a bath or shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back