Limits of a special location - 701.32.1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On an EICR I discovered a bedroom that had a small shower cubicle installed in the corner of a bedroom. The shower screen and shower door fully enclosed the shower. The screen was 2.25M high. The adjacent walls in the corner of the bedroom completed the cubicle.

There are sockets in the bedroom about 1.5 M from the shower cubicle either side.

My question is that 701.32.1 states doors and fixed partitions "effectively limit the extent of locations containing the bath or shower as well as their zones"

So should the location (and it's zones) be deemed as only within the inside of the shower cubicle and the sockets are irrelevant to section 701 and therefore not requiring a coding ? (sockets are protected by 30ma RCD and all bonding in place)

Is this effectively the same as having an en-suite with a socket outlet just inside the bedroom by the door but less than 3M from Zone 1 of the en-suite ?

Sponsored Links
The OSG states where a shower cubical is in a room used for another purpose, that the requirements for bath/shower rooms must be complied to.

Hmm thanks - so it does - never noticed that before.

Interesting how the OSG talks about complying with requirements of bathrooms and shower rooms for shower cubicles in other room, which goes against the actual regs definition/wording of "locations" - conflicting as there are no requirements pertaining to bathrooms or shower rooms !

Interesting how the OSG talks about complying with requirements of bathrooms and shower rooms for shower cubicles in other room, which goes against the actual regs definition/wording of "locations"
That's because the OSG simplifies everything to a worst case scenario for those who do not like thinking.
The restrictions in bathrooms and shower rooms applies only to the zones - i.e. within the special location.

conflicting as there are no requirements pertaining to bathrooms or shower rooms !
Yes there are.

Building Regulations - The Law -

"special location” means—
(a)within a room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap or shower head, where the space extends—
(i)vertically from the finished floor level to—
(aa)a height of 2.25 metres; or
(bb)the position of the shower head where it is attached to a wall or ceiling at a point higher than 2.25 metres from that level; and
(ii)horizontally—
(aa)where there is a bath tub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6 metres; or
(bb)where there is no bath tub or shower tray, from the centre point of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a distance of 1.2 metres; or
(b)a room containing a swimming pool or sauna heater.”.

Plus the three metre rule for socket outlets.

Sponsored Links
conflicting as there are no requirements pertaining to bathrooms or shower rooms !
Don't really get that.
Regulation 701 Locations containing a bath or a shower, I assume we all know what a bathroom, wetroom, ensuite, room with a shower or bath within it are?
Even if the OSG elaborates, I would not consider it conflicting at all. I would think common sense would suggest that a shower in a room regardless of what other purpose it serves, is no safer than one that's only purpose is that to contain a shower, if we start installing sockets in it.

Guys I'm not disagreeing with you, just that if the regs state that the cubicle is effectively the extent of the location and it's zones, , then I cant code it any more than C3 - and the only viable solution (given that it is a bedroom without capability of 3m distance to sockets - like that would make any real difference anyway as extension leads would no doubt be used) would be to build a plasterboard partition around the cubicle with a proper door to make it it's own "room" - but again what difference in reality would this really make - it would just be a slightly bigger cubicle in effect !

Even with a fixed partition you have a zone 1 and requirements state no closer than 3m from there to a socket outlet.

..walls doors and fixed partitions "effectively limit the extent of locations containing the bath or shower as well as their zones

The example diags in 701 all only show one fixed partition and so zones 1&2 apply, not a location surrounded by partitions as in the case in question

But to what effect. I tend to go worse case. But it's a judgement call of which you take responsibility for.
Why is there a shower in the room?

The example diags in 701 all only show one fixed partition and so zones 1&2 apply, not a location surrounded by partitions as in the case in question
It can't be surrounded by 'fixed partitions'.

If you mean it is a very small room then the zones will apply when the door is open.

The door is taken account of in the above regulation as being one of" floors, door, wall, partition etc", and the preceding text of the reg states the zones apply when the bath or shower basin is in it's usable configuration (i.e. door closed)

Yes judgement call as open to interpretation its just I'd never seen a shower cubicle in a bedroom before. and I cant see the difference safety wise between the cubicle and a little en-suite so it got me thinking.

As there is RCD for all circuits I dont think its a big deal whether its one or three metres personally ?

Ah. Are you saying this is a small room with proper walls and a proper door?
If so, I think I would agree with you.

However, in your OP you state 'shower screen' and 'shower door', presumably meaning glass or similar material, as would be fitted in a shower room - just to keep in the water.
In this case I would maintain the zones still apply to the bedroom as they would to a shower room.

Yes the cubicle/door are just your regular glass affair but I would say this is still a permanent partition/door regardless of the material ?

What would the difference be if they were plaster and timber ? The door would still open into the bedroom ?

I could be wrong but I don't think that is what is meant by a permanent fixed partition.
The diagrams in the regulations show quite a substantial block as a partition although I can find no definition.

By your reasoning fitting a shower cubicle in place of a bath would remove all restrictions in this (ex bath)room.
However, stud and plaster walls with a door would, however small, be defined as a separate room, albeit a cupboard, as indeed are cupboards in a bathroom - out of zones, that is.

I would say the room is unsuitable to have the shower in and whoever put it there had no consideration for safety.
I would code at least 2 and cannot see any way you could consider a lesser code.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back