LSF cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps. I have a bit of a technical problem.

I'm currently doing a job of wiring two new shops, both approximately 20m x 6m floor space. We have started to wire the shops in standard PVC cables (twin and earth and standard SWA)

The customer has been told by another contractor that the wiring must be LSF insulated.

The customer is now questioning our work and wants some reassurance that what we have done is compliant with regulations.

I have tried to consult all the reference material I have and can not find a definitive answer either way as to wether it is required. I have spoken to elecsa technical and also local building control who are both happy with standard PVC but they don't seem to want to commit to this in writing.

Could you point me in the direction of something which could say either way?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
One assumes that the other contractor has done a fire risk assessment on the property and came to the conclusion that this type of cabling was necessary to mitigate the risk.

I was advised a while ago that Public buildings required LSF cable - I assume this is not a building that is publically owned.
Wouldn't the Local Fire Safety Office be able to give you some guidance and/or you could conduct a fire risk assessment?

Normally a requirement to use LSH cable comes from the job specification, was there one issued? and does it have any requirements in this area?

Other requirements might come from licensing authorities, or as said the person carrying out the fire risk assessment for the building.

Perhaps you should ask to see the fire risk assessment

If there is nothing saying to use LSF then you don't need to use it so crack on, I'd be wary of installing large amounts of PVC in fire escape routes though (and that goes for containment as well, even if the cables within are LSF!)

Sponsored Links
There's no spec from the client, no PVC containment, and all wiring is concealed within the fabric of the building. The shop is a one room 20m x 6m square lockup type unit, with the exception of a small toilet cubicle in one corner. Access is through the front door, and there is no fire exit ( :confused: ) so we see no requirement at all to install LSF cabling.

The client is not at all technically minded, and doesn't really know if to beleive us, or the chap saying that LSF is required. We were hoping for some standard or document which stated "LSF cables are required to be used in the following circumstances....." to put the clients mind at ease, but it seems no such thing exists.

I'd love to do it in pyro but the client is already moaning about the price for PVC!

If there is nothing in the spec. for LSF, and the buildiing officer and fire officer are happy then crack on !

Could always throw in a quote for full metal containment with box galv and conduit :LOL:

There's no spec from the client, no PVC containment, and all wiring is concealed within the fabric of the building. The shop is a one room 20m x 6m square lockup type unit, with the exception of a small toilet cubicle in one corner. Access is through the front door, and there is no fire exit ( :confused: ) so we see no requirement at all to install LSF cabling. ... The client is not at all technically minded, and doesn't really know if to beleive us, or the chap saying that LSF is required. We were hoping for some standard or document which stated "LSF cables are required to be used in the following circumstances....." to put the clients mind at ease, but it seems no such thing exists.
I've been following this with interest. One general comment as an 'outsider' ... Unless I've missed something, you have mentioned absolutely no factors/features in this particular small shop which would lead to an increased risk [I presume, for example, that it's not a fireworks shop or chippy!]. If that really is the case, then if there were a regulatory requirement for LSF, it would presumably be a requirement which applied to any commercial premises - in which case (a) 'everyone' in the field would know about the rule, and (b) you surely would not have had trouble in finding a document which said "All commercial premises must be wired with LSF". .. or am I oversimplifying?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back