MK Fused Switched spur connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a new style MK fused switch which is connected to a standard gas boiler.
I'm trying to sort out the electrical connections to it and the boiler in readyness for a new boiler.

The problem I have is there are 5 connections on the back of the switch, plus the earth connection. I understand the L + N Feed in and the L + N Feed out, but what is the 5th connection for?

Any help/pointers would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
What colour is it?
Is it in the same cable as some of the other wires?
Where was it before you disconnected?

The wire is yellow and it goes into a 5 core cable going to the boiler.

I can't understand why there is a 5th connector at the back of the switch.

The switch will switch the L+N which is 4 connectors, but not sure why there would be another place for another wire?

I could do with a view of the rear of the switch with the connections on it.

I'm not actually disconnecting the switch, just the cable at the boiler end.

Are you sure it's not a dual earth connection?

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
The wire is yellow and it goes into a 5 core cable going to the boiler. I can't understand why there is a 5th connector at the back of the switch.
Are you saying that the "L+N feed" and the "L+N out" all travel in the 5-core cable to the boiler (which would be strange)? If not, it sounds as if there are two other cores of that 5-core cables (in addition to the yellow you mention) that are 'unaccounted for'- is there perhaps some sort of connector block behind the fused switch?

A photo of the back of the switch, with the connections, would certainly help.

Kind Regards, John

Are we misinterpreting this post?

What's this yellow wire?

Could it be your trying to say there are some wires in a connector block BEHIND the switch?

If so, that's normal with heating. Could be a way of joining the 'switched live' or whatever the case may be within the switch box.

Hello Chaps,

Sorry looks like I haven't explained very well.

No the L+N in and L+N out don't go to the boiler, the L+N out goes to the connection box in the airing cupboard.
There is a connector block behind the switch. The yellow wire doesn't look like an earth, but I will put my meter on it and see if its connected to earth.

I just cant see why there is another connection on the switch.

I can't see the need for another switched live, you could just put 2 wires in the L out.

Dave

does it go to a neon indicator inside the switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back