Moving a socket 3 inches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a kitchen socket I want to move slightly to the left before tiling (currently have a glass splash back but we don't like it and want to tile instead).

Will I need to get a sparky involved to do this (as it might involve extending the feed?) Or is it something I can do without actually tampering with the wiring and just move the cage of the feed permits?

Sponsored Links
I would think its unlikely that there is enough slack in the cable to move it 3inchs without extending it, even if theres an inch or two in the box, it will almost certainly be stripped back from the outer insulation.

Im not an electrician so will wait to here what the others say.

Daniel

Moving sockets is often a pain. How much of a pain depends on how they are fed.

The trouble is concealed cables that are not protected by earthed metal (which is most of them) are only allowed to run in "safe zones". In particular there are safe zones running horrizontally or vertically from a socket (or other wiring accsesory).

So if you move the socket you move the safe zones it creates and depending on how things were wired that may mean ripping a lot of cable out of the wall and moving it.

Moving sockets is often a pain. How much of a pain depends on how they are fed.

The trouble is concealed cables that are not protected by earthed metal (which is most of them) are only allowed to run in "safe zones". In particular there are safe zones running horrizontally or vertically from a socket (or other wiring accsesory).

So if you move the socket you move the safe zones it creates and depending on how things were wired that may mean ripping a lot of cable out of the wall and moving it.

I know where the channels are as I was there when the sparky put them all in. Didnt notice one of the sockets that was supposed to be centralised over one of the units wasnt as we put the kitchen in after. It's probably 2-3" too far right.

Sponsored Links
Does the cable come from above, below or the right?

If the cable comes in on the left hand hole or possibly the centre then you might be able to move it by changing the entry hole.

I've got a kitchen socket I want to move slightly to the left before tiling (currently have a glass splash back but we don't like it and want to tile instead).

Will I need to get a sparky involved to do this (as it might involve extending the feed?) Or is it something I can do without actually tampering with the wiring and just move the cage of the feed permits?

Lots of variables to consider, which have already been touched on in previous posts.

*moving socket outside safe zone
*slack in cable
*whether there are additional cables within box
*moving socket in to an area that is considered to be subjected to other external influences.

currently have a glass splash back but we don't like it and want to tile instead
Interesting.

I'd like one, but will probably end up not having one because they cost so much if you want holes in them for switches and sockets. What is it that you don't like?

currently have a glass splash back but we don't like it and want to tile instead
Interesting.

I'd like one, but will probably end up not having one because they cost so much if you want holes in them for switches and sockets. What is it that you don't like?
I would say this is a topic for another thread, or to be had via PM! However, if it comes out of the OPs kitchen on one peice, maybe you can have a try of it.

Daniel

No point - you can't cut holes in them, they have to be done before the toughening process.

When you first look at glass splashbacks you go "Oooh - that's nice".

Then you look at the price and you think "OK - not cheap, but not too bad - I could live with that, as I like it so much."

Then you find out it's another £40 for each hole for an accessory, and you say "Let's have another look at those laminate ones."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back