Moving position of pendant light without moving fixture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The ceiling light fitting in my front room is in the centre of the room, but I would like to hang a pendant light over a table approx 1.25m from the central fixture.

I'm not keen on the idea of having conduit running across the ceiling and even less keen on the idea of gouging into the ceiling to run cables through. Ideally I would like to place a hook above the table and have the wire on display running across to the hook and then down to the light. Is there a fitting you can buy that takes the balances the weight between the looped cable and the drop to the lampshade?

The reason I ask is that nobody seems to do this in the UK, although it's extremely common in Scandinavia (example here: http://boligmagasinet.dk/article/87254-hjemme-i-stylistens-designparadis/gallery/569798)

Any advice very much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Is there a fitting you can buy that takes the balances the weight between the looped cable and the drop to the lampshade?
I doubt very much that anything will be balanced or that this would be a consideration.

Just a hook and common sense would be needed ensuring no strain on the cable.

You could use one of these
can-stock-photo_csp7121449.jpg

replace the steel wire with the cable and the shackle with tape or decorative tie wraps. This prevents the cable rubbing on the hook and wearing through the insulation

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

Are you basically saying do it with a hook but buy a light lamp shade then?

I have had a fairly heavy light on a hook before but the electrically-minded boyfriend thinks it's a dangerous idea.

Sorry hadn't seen your reply when I last posted - that looks exactly like what I want :)

Fix a hook and the down drop part of the flex could be a chain that matches the length of that drop.

The chain hangs on the hook, not the flex. The flex get threaded through the chain which due to the weave factor self supports the flex and light fitting.

If the light fitting is over say 500 gms / 0.5 kg I'd consider the chain being fixed to the fitting, flex isn't really meant to hold weighty loads.

The hook will need to be fixed in to a joist, in most builds they tend to be 450 mm centres.

I'm not keen on the idea of having conduit running across the ceiling and even less keen on the idea of gouging into the ceiling to run cables through.
OK - so you don't like Plan A or Plan B.

How about Plan C - work from above and route the cables to the new location?

Ideally I would like to place a hook above the table and have the wire on display running across to the hook and then down to the light.
Ooh - that's going to look good, isn't it.

The reason I ask is that nobody seems to do this in the UK
Well, blow me - I wonder why?

From the land that embraced stone cladding that really is a puzzle.

although it's extremely common in Scandinavia

Oh - be still my beating heart.

What a truly delightful thing of exquisite beauty that is.

I'm cancelling my plans for tomorrow - gonna go and get me some hooks and lengths of flex and make all my lighting like that.

I love the touch of using black flex with a white rose and a white shade, but I'm feeling bold - I think that orange would be even more sublime - what say you?

I think that orange would be even more sublime - what say you?
I say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and when done tastefully the cable looped from rose to distant pendant(s) can be a work of art adding a feature to an otherwise plain slab of white plaster.

well ban all sheds, personally I *like* the look of it, and if someone like you moves in after me, it will be extremely simple to remove the hook, fill, and return to using the centralized fixing.

This will not be the case if I reroute the cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back