Moving socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an awkwardly placed radiator which we are having to move by about 15 inches . However doing this would also require moving a double socket 15 inches. The wall is an external breeze block and plaster wall. Can I just create a new socket opening 15 inches to the left of the existing one, and run cable in conduit buried in the plaster as a spur to the old socket; using wagos as connectors in the old socket box and putting a blank plate on the old socket box? Grateful for advices.

Sponsored Links
We have an awkwardly placed radiator which we are having to move by about 15 inches . However doing this would also require moving a double socket 15 inches. The wall is an external breeze block and plaster wall. Can I just create a new socket opening 15 inches to the left of the existing one, and run cable in conduit buried in the plaster as a spur to the old socket; using wagos as connectors in the old socket box and putting a blank plate on the old socket box? Grateful for advices.
Do I take it that the old socket position, with blank plate, will be behind the radiator (once moved) and therefore effectively 'inaccessible'? If so, Wagos within the 'inaccessible' back box would not be compliant with regulations.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for your response John. Yes, the old socket box would be almost completely behind the radiator, and for all practical purposes inaccessible. Any straight forward way round this, if Wagos are not compliant?

I thought about going down and under the floor boards, but, I really didn't want to have to take the skirting board off and I expect I would also have to drill through a floor joist. So I would prefer to cut out the plaster and putting conduit in if there is a way round this.

Thanks for your response John. Yes, the old socket box would be almost completely behind the radiator, and for all practical purposes inaccessible. Any straight forward way round this, if Wagos are not compliant?[
As I feared. The whole situation is, IMO, plain silly, since Wagos in a 'Waxobox' would be compliant, and I really don't see that what you were proposing is any less safe than that. Trying to bury a Wagobox (even if that's allowed) sounds 'orrible, and would be no fun. Similarly with an Ashley 'maintenance free' junction box. Crimping is the other means of connecting cables that doesn't have to be accessible, but to create a spur, you'd need 'Y' crimps, which I don't think are all that easy to find.
I thought about going down and under the floor boards, but, I really didn't want to have to take the skirting board off and I expect I would also have to drill through a floor joist. So I would prefer to cut out the plaster and putting conduit in if there is a way round this.
Under the floorboards would obvioulsy be the nicest way - you could then use a Wagobox or Ashley JB if you wanted. Aren't you going to have to lift floorboards to move the radiator? By the way, if a way can be found to do it as you'd prefer, you wouldn't necessarily need conduit if the connection between old socket and new was horizontal.

I'll see if I can think of anything else. I have to say that I think I know what I'd probably do if it were my house, but it's not something that I could/should 'advise'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There is also a question of "how inaccesible is inaccessible". Is having to swing out a radiator in the unlikely event that access is required really that big a deal?

There is also a question of "how inaccesible is inaccessible". Is having to swing out a radiator in the unlikely event that access is required really that big a deal?
Personally, I agree, but I'm pretty sure that many would say that it is 'too inaccessible', perhaps asking how likely it is that a radiator would be 'swung out' in the course of an EICR!

I've already got as close as I should (perhaps closer than I should!) to saying what I'd probably do if it were my house :)

Kind Regards, John

Properly soldered.
Yep - that's the one option I forgot to mention.

However (reaching fro my flak jacket!), I have to say that I would personally think that a technically 'less-compliant' method would probably be preferable unless the person concerned was suitably experienced to 'properly solder' the joints.

Kind Regards, John

You don't normally need to take skirting off. Use a nice long SDS bit and drill down as parallel to the wall as you can.

I would be tempted to Wago it and blank plate though.

BLIMEY not a single mention of an RCD by anyone yet!

perhaps asking how likely it is that a radiator would be 'swung out' in the course of an EICR!
Pretty low but then so is the chance that someone will move a heavy wardrobe/bed/kitchen appliance.

First thing to check, is the socket already a spur? If so, it may be easier to run a new cable back to the origin of that spur to your new socket, especially if you have a suspended floor.

Crimping is the other means of connecting cables that doesn't have to be accessible, but to create a spur, you'd need 'Y' crimps, which I don't think are all that easy to find.

The way I avoid "Y" crimps is to extend both cables indivuidually (extend the ring).

perhaps asking how likely it is that a radiator would be 'swung out' in the course of an EICR!
Pretty low but then so is the chance that someone will move a heavy wardrobe/bed/kitchen appliance.
I totally agree. As you know, I wasn't expressing my view but, rather, suggesting what some others might say! I think my view is probably fairly clear.

Kind Regards, John

Crimping is the other means of connecting cables that doesn't have to be accessible, but to create a spur, you'd need 'Y' crimps, which I don't think are all that easy to find.
The way I avoid "Y" crimps is to extend both cables indivuidually (extend the ring).
Yes, that would be a solution. I suppose some people might argue that 'the few joints the better'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back