plug and light sockets on plasterboard are very unsecure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We ahve a timber frame house and so all of our internal walls are plasterboard/stud.
It seems every single plug socket, light switch socket and tv realted sockets etc are very shaky and insecure i.e. every time you go to switch on/off a light or plugin in or remove a plug the whole faceplate moves about.
This is pretty much a new house and it was ok when we moved in but after continued (but reasonable) use over the months they have all gone this way.

What should i do about his? I dont fancy poking about with electricity but at the same time its a bit worrying that they are so loose.
They mustn't have been installed properly (i'm guessing they have just been screwed in direct with no plastic wall plug/anchor)...surely there is legislation that tries to prevent this?

Cheers

Mike

Sponsored Links
If they're mounted using dry-lining boxes it may just need the faceplate front screws tightened up.

If the back boxes are wobbly then it's a case of (switch off at the mains), remove faceplates, and refix the back boxes.

If you purchased the house from new-build and it's within 3 years then you should be covered by the NHBC warranty (or whatever scheme your builder used) for snagging works.

As OwainDIYer has stated, the reasoning behind your problem is likely to be one of the scenarios that has been given.
I would be tempted to hazard a guess, that dry-lining boxes have been installed.
It could be a case that the face plate screws need to be firmly secured by tighten or checking the plastic holding lugs are doing what they should be.

or if you have these, metal back box

They need securing to supporting timber within wall.

But newish build should have a warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back