Positioning a mains extractor fan in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The regs for fitting a mains extractor fan say it must not be within reach of a person using the bath or shower.

The regs do not seem to indicate how far up a person can reach.

My bathroom has 2.5 m ceilings so I was wondering if getting a fan put in the ceiling or in the wall up against the ceiling would be ok or not.

Sponsored Links
Try posting on the ELECTRICAL Forum, the IEE Regs give guidence on where it is permitted to fit 230v fans in bathrooms most have to be low voltage (ELV) types nowadays ;)

The regs for fitting a mains extractor fan say it must not be within reach of a person using the bath or shower.

Does it? Which reg says that?

IEE regulations require mains voltage fans to be positioned out of arms reach of the person using the bath or shower. i.e., Outside zone 0, 1 or 2 as stated in amendment 3 of BS7671:1992. Mains voltage fans and controls should also be sited away from potential water spray.

Sponsored Links
In zone 2, it will have to be ELV. (Zone 2 is the 'reachable' distance around a bath or shower).

electrics:speclcn:16th_bathroom_zones.jpg%20

Zone 3 was consigned to the dustbin of history when the 17th edition came out in 2008.

Zone 3 was consigned to the dustbin of history when the 17th edition came out in 2008.

That means that I could get the fan fitted in the area above the left hand side 0.6m zone 2 which is where I was thinking of getting it fitted in any case.
Thanks for the advice

i.e., Outside zone 0, 1 or 2 as stated in amendment 3 of BS7671:1992.

That's 20 years out of date! The ceiling should be suitable if the fan is sufficiently IP rated.

A 'mains fan' is allowed in zone one if IPX4 (or IPX5 if subject to water jets).

The manufacturer, who must be obeyed, 'may state out of reach'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back