Question on underfloor heating - cable routing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I start (so shut up BAS), the job will be completed and signed off by someone able to self notify through his registration scheme. And yes I'll be asking him, but I like to know answers before I ask since it's so easy to get wrong answers from some practitioners from all trades.

Underfloor electric heating to go under tiles in a bathroom. Thermostat/controls outside the bathroom, on other side of wall in the vestibule linking lounge, bathroom, and bedrooms. The only place the controller can go is on the other side from the end of the bath & shower - and the bath width comes right up to the door.
So to drill through the wall from a box outside the bathroom would be at quite an awkward angle (diagonally across and down through the wall) and would , in my opinion, not be particularly safe since it would mean concealed wiring where someone might well not expect it.

So I'm thinking to drill straight through the wall from the back of the box where it will come out under the end of the bath, from where it's a foot or less to the edge of the tiles that will be heated.
It seems to me that this should be safe - the wiring won't be able to contact the bath, and it wouldn't be any worse than having live wires under a wet floor. It would be instantly visible if anyone takes the bath side panel off, and it would be in safe zones on the other side of the wall.
The cables will be the flex tail factory fitted to the heater cable, and the temperature probe.

Overall, the supply will come from an FCU next to an existing socket, horizontally a couple of foot to an empty box in the wall, up vertically to the controller, back down and through the wall to the bathroom - with a blank plate to cover the box. All circuits have RCDs - new CU fitted the other week.

Anyone see any problem with this ?

Edit; Clarified cable routing, added "back down"

Sponsored Links
No problem with it, however why the empty box in the wall - why not just put the FCU where the empty box is?

No problem with it, however why the empty box in the wall - why not just put the FCU where the empty box is?
Well I could, but I'm not keen on passing other cables through the back of boxes like that. The FCU for the boiler in my house is like that, used as a JB for the heating system, and it's a PITA.
Edit: I could use a very deep box, but it's quite hard concrete block to sink into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back