RCD protection for off peak storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many 60s, 70s and 80s purpose built flats I have worked in have had new consumers units fitted incorporating RCDs. Often these boards weren't fitted to cover any new kitchen/bathroom/other work. Apparently they were fitted simply because someone probably thought they were out of date.

But in all cases, and I'm talking about different blocks of flats and different contractors, the off peak boards for storage heaters never seem to get changed. So the storage heater wiring is concealed in the wall less than 50mm and no RCD. Also, the wiring isn't in earthed metal conduit, just plastic.

I can't think of any exceptions why off peak storage heater wiring less than 50mm deep shouldn't have to be protected by a 30mA RCD.

I suppose it would be unlikely anyone would be drilling holes in a wall around say 11.30pm-6.30am, or whatever .

It seems everywhere I go, the old off peak boards remain when the main consumer unit is replaced.

Any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
And nor is the wiring new on the general supply consumer unit.

Though I suppose fitting RCDs just for the sockets and the shower if there is one has to be considered a definite improvement.

Sponsored Links
Most of the heaters used mineral insulated heating elements which are renowned for absorbing moisture so moving the heaters to a RCD protected supply would likely result when turned on again as winter approached they would trip. Unlike ovens they are not used all year round and the time when switched off in the summer would likely cause problems.

Clearly with new installations consideration would have to be made on wiring type and maybe Ali-tube would be used but for existing installations I would certainly leave them well alone.

................I suppose it would be unlikely anyone would be drilling holes in a wall around say 11.30pm-6.30am, or whatever .

It seems everywhere I go, the old off peak boards remain when the main consumer unit is replaced.

Any thoughts on this?

If they drilled into it at 2.30 pm it would still go 'bang' when the system switched on though. ;)

I reckon its mostly to protect against people plugging in faulty appliances, which would not be an issue on heating circuits.

The flat I used to own had a split board though, with a contactor for the heating to come on.

In local council properties I have seen where 15 years ago they installed electrical heating and re-wired. The old re-wireable type fuse boards were re-assigned to heating, and new CU's fitted for general electric! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back