Removing bedroom pull cord switch - old wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read several similar posts but unfortunately none reflect the wiring I have.

I want to remove a pull cord light switch from a bedroom.
Here are pics of the pull cord switch/fixing, wall mounted light switch and the light fixing.

I have access to the cables in the loft. If someone could advise how best to remove the pull cord I would be really grateful. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You haven't explained how this lighting arrangement worked in the past.

It looks like the pull cord has a permanent looped live and a single neutral - but where does it get its power from?
The switch appears to be set up for a two way arrangement but its difficult to see how the switch is linked to the pull switch which looked like a one way arrangement.
Is there a junction box in the loft that forms part of this circuit?
Have you looked at wiki to see how lighting circuits are wired and the earth at the lamp needs to be sleeved?

Looks like live looped in at pull cord, two way function with rocker. Neutrals up in the loft dropped to light fitting.

Sponsored Links
I have read several similar posts but unfortunately none reflect the wiring I have.

I want to remove a pull cord light switch from a bedroom.
Here are pics of the pull cord switch/fixing, wall mounted light switch and the light fixing.

I have access to the cables in the loft. If someone could advise how best to remove the pull cord I would be really grateful. Thanks!

1)Remove single and earth red from between pullcord and light.
2)remove twin and earth cable from pullcord and re-route to light
connect the red only back into the light.
3)At the wall switch disconnect the black of the twin and earth.
4)If switch operates upside down connect red of the twin into the spare terminal.

Hope that helps

Dont forget safe isolation procedures

best thing to do is just disconnect the string.

A usful thing to have, and you or someone else may want it in the future.

Also less work !

Thanks all.

heathelect - Will this leave me with one wire in both the light fixing and the wall switch not connected? i.e. If I'm only connecting the red into the light and disconnecting the black in the wall switch.

Forgive this question as I'm only a casual DIYer!! Just want to be safe (which may involve getting a sparky in!)

Thanks again

The black core cable at the light fitting is needed, it will not be connected across the switches. It's a neutral that is routed within your loft space, does not drop down to switches.
You will need the two reds at the wall switch, to form your switch circuit, that black cable at the switches, will then be redundant, but it is not the same cable as that one at the light fitting.

You don't disconnect anything if you're leaving the ceiling switch in place.

Set the wall switch rocker to the position you want when the light is off.

If necessary pull the ceiling switch cord to turn the light off.

Turn off the power, unscrew ceiling switch cover, remove cord, replace cover.

Perhaps you don't want an used pull switch on the ceiling.

Assuming you have access above, remove pull cord and terminate wires in a 20 amp junction box above.

Join the wire from the common terminal to ONE of the other wires in the jb.

Then put the remaining wire on it's own it another terminal on the jb.

Connect earth wire to another terminal on the jb.

If the switch appears to work upside down, remove the common wire and put with the wire that is on it's own.

Thanks all.

heathelect - Will this leave me with one wire in both the light fixing and the wall switch not connected? i.e. If I'm only connecting the red into the light and disconnecting the black in the wall switch.

Forgive this question as I'm only a casual DIYer!! Just want to be safe (which may involve getting a sparky in!)

Thanks again

Yes thats right and so are all the other proposals

Phase 2 - the Mrs now wants this to be a pendant!!

Here is how the wiring currently looks (from the advice given above. Works fine. One black wire not affixed as discussed).

Here is an example of how other pendant fittings are wired on the same floor. Do I simply copy this (i.e. twisting the two 'blacks' together and follow the placement of the red wire and earth)? Or should the black wire that is not affixed stay that way?

Thanks again everyone.

Phase 2 - the Mrs now wants this to be a pendant!!

Here is how the wiring currently looks (from the advice given above. Works fine. One black wire not affixed as discussed).

Assuming that the red is the switched live and the attached black (and the free black) are neutrals then follow the plan in the other photograph. Only don't twist the neutrals together put them in their own individual terminals.
Two questions:
Why is there a loose cable - have you traced it back to its source?
This isn't a two way landing/hall light is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back