Replacing a bathroom light/fan switch ... connections?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
This is my first post, although I have found this forum very useful before.

House - new build 10 years ago by Bryant.

I am gradually replacing the standard white switches with nicer new ones.

So .. my ensuite bathroom has a switch outside the door which controls the bathroom light and the simple extractor fan. It is a double switch, with both the fan and the light controlled seperately. The fan has no timer, it's just on or off at the switch.

The switch I have bought is a 2 gang 2 way switch, but it is quite different in terms of the wiring arrangement, and I dont understand how to wire it up.

ON THE LEFT I have created a diagram of the existing switch because it was clearer than a photo.

ON THE RIGHT I have attched a photo of the new switch.

I hope someone can help me sort it out. Many thanks. John

Sponsored Links
The original switches are each 2 pole and switched both the Live and the Neutral,

The new switch is two single pole switches and each can only switch live.

There may be a reason why two pole switching has been used, two pole switching means the lamp and the fan will be fully isolated when switched off. Where the switch is single pole an additional isolator is required for the fan.

You can fit that new switch and have only single pole switching and lamp and fan will work but there may be a safety implication.

The red from the top left of your diagram will need to go to the two terminals marked COM on the new switch. The other reds go one each to the terminals marked 1WAY on the new switch. The three blacks must NOT be connected to the switch but need to be joined together in a piece of choc block ( terminal strip ).

Ensure all three earths are connected together.

As mentioned there may be a safety reason why the original switch is two pole.

Thanks for the reply Bernard, I did wonder if there was a reason.

The existing switch is "specific" and even has "FAN" printed on the front face under the appropriate switch. It also has a light on the switch which is on when the fan is on - I wonder if this is why it is double pole, and the apparent safety reason?

The new switch is simply a 2 gang 2 way basic switch for lighting etc.

Would you think i'll be ok to use it? You see, I dont think there is a "like for like" replacement in the range of new switches that I am using.

If I was doing it I would leave the original switch in place until I could find a dual two pole switch that had an acceptable appearance, or I would fit an additional two pole isolator for the fan if the switches had to be single pole simply for the sake of appearance.

Sponsored Links
I have noticed that they do offer a two pole version, but it's only a single switch.

Am I correct in thinking that I could wire up both light and fan to the switch so they operate together?

I think I'd be happy with that, if it's ok to do?

Light and fan on together is possible.

In which case connect the top left hand cable to the IN terminals (Live and Neutral ) and the other two cables to the OUT terminals (Live and Neutral )

The switch I have bought is a 2 gang 2 way switch, but it is quite different in terms of the wiring arrangement, and I dont understand how to wire it up.
Please learn more about electrics before carrying on fiddling with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back