Replacing a Drayton Combi-Stat RTS8 with a Horstmann HRT4-ZW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I currently have a Drayton RTS8 thermostat connected to our Vaillent ecoTEC boiler and I want to replace the thermostat with a Horstmann HRT4-ZW.

The RTS8 is currently connected to the boiler as per option 2 of the following wiring diagram:
Circled in Red.

This is connected to the boiler as per the following wiring diagram:
Connecting to Terminals 4 & 5.

The wiring diagram for the HRT4 is as follows:
Calling for mains feed.

The current RST8 is connected back to the boiler via 3 core (mains grade) cabling; but the 3rd wire (earth) is currently unused and not conected at either end. However I ideally would like to re-use this 3 core cabling for the HRT4 but not sure if it can be done?

The reason I want to re-use this cabling is because the current RTS8 thermostat is not really anywhere near the boiler (2 rooms away) and I would like to install the new HRT4 receiver in the same position (not near the boiler) but I will struggle (mess up new plastering) to get a mains feed to this position and hense this is why I want to re-use the existing 3-core cabling.

I do not know if/how I should/could connect up the L & N terminals on the HRT4 and whether I should be installing the optional jumper cable between Terminal L & Terminal 2.

Can I connect as follows:
Vaillent Terminal N to HRT4 Terminal N
Vaillent Terminal 5 to HRT4 Terminal 4
Vaillent Terminal 4 to HRT4 Terminal 2
HRT4 Terminal 2 to HRT4 Terminal L (Jumper Cable)

If this is not possible I will have to look at moving the HRT4 to a position closer to the boiler where I can also provide a mains feed.

Thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
No, you cannot do what you want.
There is no Neutral nor enough wires at the thermostat position.

You must install the receiver, preferably, near the boiler.
It needs a 240V supply (L,N&E) plus a cable to the boiler - the present thermostat wiring.

To use the new unit it will require a live feed. There is a link wire shown in dashes which must NOT be fitted so you will have two cables the orignal to terminals 2 and 4 and a new feed to L (Line) and N (Neutral).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back