Replacing a fused spur to serve underfloor heating

Sponsored Links
What rated circuit would this be fitted to and what is the rating of the accessory/switch/not the protective device the actual current the unit can deal with? i don't think a BS646 is suitable for circuit protection and you should down fuse with a BS1361 prior to the fitting of this unit.

Thanks for the swift reply. I'm afraid I don't know what the current the unit can deal with is and it isn't obvious from the manufacturer's website. The fused spur I would like to replace was added by someone else to the upstairs lighting circuit - I'll check the RCD but it's probably 5A protecting the whole circuit.

I'm afraid I don't know what the current the unit can deal with is
You were asked what current does the UFH draw.

and it isn't obvious from the manufacturer's website.
Yes, it's a light switch but that was not what was asked.

The fused spur I would like to replace was added by someone else to the upstairs lighting circuit
Are you sure?
That would be silly for an UFH.

I'll check the RCD but it's probably 5A protecting the whole circuit.
Irrelevant and unlikely.
The MCB may be 6A for a lighting circuit.
You should not replace a FCU with a timer. It should be additional.

Programmers and timers for UFH are available; why do you want to use a light switch?

Sponsored Links
You were asked what current does the UFH draw.
That was the first half of the question 'what is the rating of the accessory/switch/not the protective device the actual current the unit can deal with?' Is the question I answered.

Yes, it's a light switch but that was not what was asked.
Again, my reply relates to the second part of the question.

Are you sure?
That would be silly for an UFH.
I’m certain – even if it is silly. Tripping the lighting circuit trips the UFH.

Programmers and timers for UFH are available; why do you want to use a light switch?
I already have it so would like to know if I can use it. If there’s an issue with safety then I won’t and will look for a more appropriate bit of kit. There’s an existing thermostat at floor level. I’ll look to see if I can replace this with a combined timer and thermostat in one unit thereby not removing the FCU.

I had a change of plan for anyone who reads this thread in future. I've replaced the existing thermostat with one that offers all the features I need. No changes to the existing wiring needed. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back