Replacing a timer delay light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a flat with a shared hallway which has a timer delay light switch. It used to be that you pressed it and it would give you about 20 seconds then switch off. Recently something happened where the light is now permanently on. The mains is in my flat so I switch it off when not in use but that also of course switches all my lights.

I am wondering as a novice if this is fixable with the existing switch (which is only a £10 switch) or do I need to buy a new one? If I do buy a new one what do I need to be aware of when replacing it?

Sorry if this is a daft question.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Is there just the one switch?

It - or any of the others - could merely be 'stuck in' - give it a few taps.

Are you responsible for the shared area? No landlord or management company?

It would be quite simple to replace if you are used to doing such things.

Don't forget to turn of the (your) power before doing anything.

Thanks EFL,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

Not sure if there's one on the top floor landing (don't have access to it) and know it isnt powered via my mains. I own my flat and there is a Landlord who rents out the top flat. We are supposed to share the management but know that he kindly pays our yearly buildings insurance.

Its definitely not stuck, just seems weird that the light would stay on permanently.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links
Hi Canduit,

Yes its one of the pneumatic ones.

Asked the people upstairs for the landlord's number and they were a bit 'cagey' so they may have tampered with one that i dont have access to but could they operate it from another mains unit?

Rich

When you say maiins unit, do you mean the "fusebox?" (correct name consumer unit). If you do, and if you've switched off the circuit breaker then I wouldn't expect anyone else to be able to turn on the light. If you can get one for £10 then for the sake of interogating upstairs you might as well fit it, or get it fitted.

Think your right on this one.

Thanks for your help guys.

all the best
Rich

If you do, and if you've switched off the circuit breaker then I wouldn't expect anyone else to be able to turn on the light.
But they're not, are they?
It just won't go off when OP switches on the supply.
If you can get one for £10 then for the sake of interogating upstairs you might as well fit it, or get it fitted.
May not cure the problem, though, if jammed/stuck/faulty upstairs.

Temple,

Can you carefully undo the screws on the delay switch (turn power off first) and post a picture of the wiring on the back of the switch.

You may be able to disconnect a wire as a first step just to check if it is your switch or some other switch that is causing the light to be on.

Please post pictures so they appear in your reply.

Read how to do it here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Asked the people upstairs for the landlord's number and they were a bit 'cagey' so they may have tampered with one that i dont have access to but could they operate it from another mains unit?
Reminds me of a house converted into flats with individual lights outside each front door operated by a switch inside the flat and fed from that flat's lighting circuit. Someone had then thought it a good idea if all the lamps came on together so wired all the switched lives to the lamps together.

The first indication of a problem was when the lights in a flat suddenly came on even though the main switch was off while the people were on holiday. Then the fuse for the lights in the flat blew.

Yes, that was the case here, that a house was converted into flats. Its looking suspicious as I've noticed their hall light (which I don't have access to) is on 24 hours a day. I'm starting to believe the theory that they may have 'jammed' or taped the switch on permanently. With that in mind would it not be frugal to try and get in touch with their Landlord as some 'tampering' is going on?

As long as its not your electricity bill, let them tamper with whats in their property.

Just to clarify, when you switch your circuit breaker off, it turns your "problem light" off? And no one else can turn this light back on?

Yes,
but the problem for me now is to switch off this light via the switch also switches off all other room lights. Hence I'm having to keep switching off and on several times from the mains.

As was mentioend above, taking a picture of the wires a the back of the switch will give us some more info as to whats going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back