Samung PKG 500 electric oven - 3400w installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi friends,

I have a samsung oven which is rated at max 3400w which i assume works out to 3.4kw.

My question is which cable and fuse size is suggested by the experts here,

Ie I think 4mm and 20/25 fuse/mcb will be enought BUT is it best to install 6mm and 30 fuse/mcb (or will this be too much?)

Another question is Why are terminal points used (behind oven), ie why cant we wire direct from oven to CCU (above worktop, ie what is the need for terminal box)

Thanks to all and appreciate any advice espcially on question 1

Sponsored Links
it says:
230 V ~ 50 Hz
65 L
max. 3400 W

and the install instructions are the standard:
If the appliance is not connected to the mains with a plug, a
multi-pole isolator switch (with at least 3 mm contact spacing)
must be provided in order to satisfy safety regulations. The
power cable (H05 RR-F or H05 VV-F, min. 1.5 m, 1.5 ~ 2.5
mm²) must be of sufficient length to be connected to the oven,
even if the oven stands on the floor in front of its built-in
cabinet. Open the rear connection cover of the oven with a
screwdriver and loosen the screws of the cable clamp before
you connect the power lines to the relevant connection
terminals. The oven is earthed via the ( )-terminal. If the
oven is connected to the mains with a plug, this plug
must remain accessible after the oven is installed. Samsung will
take no responsibility for accidents that originate from a missing or
faulty earth connection.

The oven is a Samsung BF3ON3T11G

So min 2.5mm2 H05 VV F to the Cooker connection unit if you have one or the same to the Cooker Switch if you do not. You will have a normally have a maximum size of 2m of cable from the oven to the CCU or the Cooker switch - so the CCU gives you a bit more room to pull the oven out. Also the cable from the CCU to the cooker switch (just check its size) will be already buried - if you bury it - then you might be required to install an RCD as well.

The rating of the MCB is linked to the lowest size of the cable in the circuit - so 2.5mm2 is around 27Amp so a 20 MCB should be okay.

There is nothing to stop you fitting a bigger cable to the oven and leaving the current MCB as it is (I assume it is a 32Amp) but you might have problems connecting that size cable to the cooker terminals.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, at present i have nothing in place no ccu etc. I have an old standalone oven/hob which is being replaced.

1 sparky said 4mm cable allround will be fine into a 25amcb

but another sparky said get 6mm cable and 30amcb (for future proofing)

just need to make sure im buying/paying for the right items.

ie 4mm cable from oven to term to ccu to cu. (so no 2.5 from cooker to ccu he will be using 4mm all the way thru)

Thanks again for the help

There is an old shower connection not being used, we might use the shower 45a switch (as the ccu) but it has 40aMCB will will almost deffinatly need to be reduced in size.

If there is no circuit in place and if you intend to do the work yourself then you must inform your Local Authority Building Control before you commence.
You will have to pay their fee and advise them how you intend to complete the necessary testing and paperwork required.

Alternatively, get an electrician who is qualified to sign his own work of.
The person signing off the paperwork makes the decision regarding cable,MCB size etc.

Don't forget Samsung have put the caveat that if you fail to follow their instructions you will not be protected by their guarantee.

A new circuit will probably require additional protection of an RCD.
BTW, most modern Consumer Units do not have 25Amp MCB's and the standard cooker circuit install will be 6mm T&E from the 32Amp MCB/RCD Consumer Unit to the Cooker switch and then same to the Cooker Connection Unit. Then 4mm flex heat resistant cable to the oven itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back