Scripts on Main Forum Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it just me (or my computer)?

For the last day or two, I have been plagued by script(s) running on the main forum page (the one with the list of threads) that has monopolised my computer's CPU and made it grind to a halt. I've had to tweak the Windows registry entry for 'MaxScriptStatements' to allow me to terminate these scripts as they arise, but that's still a pain. This isn't happening with any other websites, and nor is there a problem once I get into a thread on this site. I'm using IE8 under XP.

Anyone else had any similar problems?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
My work PC is taking about 20 or 30 secs to load the Electrics UK main page. I haven't tried at home. The topics respond normally.

yeah I have a similar problem, its also happening in other forums too.

glad its not just me.

Sponsored Links
yeah I have a similar problem, its also happening in other forums too. glad its not just me.
I'm also glad it's not just me!

My 'solution' at least stops the computer grinding to a halt, but it's still a pain because I have to manually terminate the script every time the page loads. In case any one is interested...

In the registry, one goes to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Styles
If the Styles folder doesn't exist, you need to create it.
If there is no entry under Styles for MaxScriptStatements, then create such a DWORD entry.
In the absence of such an entry, a default value of 5,000,000 statements is assumed.
Reduce the value of MaxScriptStatements. With a (decimal) value of 1,000,000 it takes about 15 seconds for the Warning window to pop up and give one the opportunity to terminate the script. Values less than 1,000,000 would obviously make this happen quicker, but might then start intercepting scripts that one wanted to run. I'm currently using 500,000, which, on my machine, gives 5 seconds or so before the window pops up.

Kind Regards, John

It was happening to me on my PC at work. Taking an age to load, but ok at home on iPad.

Yes as above, Firefox

You can even kill the adverts on other sites.

IE*, not worth the hassle

Might be worth doing a hard disk cleanup, before you install. Keep it as clean as possible, not loading "stuff" that IE has stored.

Yes as above, Firefox ... IE*, not worth the hassle.
No matter how good Firefox may be, as a matter of principle, there's no way I'm going to change browser just because one website is screwing things up for me :) If they want my continued participation, they're going to have to address the issue!

Kind Regards, John

Once you start using NoScript, you'll be amazed/dismayed/horrified at the number of scripts from all sorts of sites other than the one you're visiting which want to run on your PC.

Once you start using NoScript, you'll be amazed/dismayed/horrified at the number of scripts from all sorts of sites other than the one you're visiting which want to run on your PC.
I certainly wouldn't be surprised, but presumably some of those scripts serve a useful purpose?

Kind Regards, John

I use Firefox to browse which works A1 on this site, but IE 8 to test my web site as it is considered the worst browser and if it will work with IE 8 then likely it will work with anything.

I get two messages of screen first saying want to run flash which really is something all web designers should avoid using like the plague as Apple has banned it on their machines which of course includes Iphones.

The second says:-
Stop running this script?
A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.
If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive.
With options Yes or No.

The only difference I can see between the two browsers is the adverts so it would seem one of the adverts has some sloppy script.

I do use Java Script on my own web pages together with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and without them the page would not be able to show my presentation it is the Java Script which allows my pictures to change and the CSS that positions them on the page.

An example here and I do some times get the report it is using a lot of memory as it pre-loads the pictures. So first picture may be slow but after that they should (If I have written script correct) change quickly.

I had a quick look at source for DIYnot and without Java Script and CSS those tabs showing welcome, How to.., @home etc just would not exist.

They do however I would agree need to find out which of the adverts is causing the problem and remove that advert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back