Second ceiling light stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have fitted a new light in my hall and the second fitting has now stopped working. The new one works fine but I've obviously stopped the circuit from getting to the next fitting.

When I took the old one apart there were 3 red wires in connected to a wago that I have left connected and just duct taped the whole thing. The remaining reds I have connected to live on new fitting and 3 blue wires I've connected to neutral on new fitting. Earths also connected to a wago and duct taped?

Would appreciate any thoughts on where I have gone wrong!

Sponsored Links
Did the second light used to work off the same switch as the first light?

When you replaced the light in the hall did you note down how it was wired in particular which conductor was the switch live?
Do you have a multi-meter and do you know how to use it?

Photographs of your current arrangement would help but it would appear that you have lost your live/switch live and therefore, if the second light also works of the same switch, you have lost the live from the first light to the second.
Furtheremore if you new fitting is metal then it too needs to be earthed unless it is class 2.

Why have you duct taped?
The cables should be placed in enclosure, either use a wagobox or a choc box, don't tape them up.
If you have connected as you have said and the original circuit worked.
You have either not connected the conductors to the fitting correctly, for example at least one conductor is not in the terminal right (phase/neutral) or you have pulled one loose that is connected at the second light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back