Security Light Timer switch Wiring advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Id like to install a programmable light switch one of my rooms for a couple of weeks as a security measure.

There are currently two 1 gang 2 way switches fitted at each end of the room.
The lights can be switched on and off from either switch

Id like to fit one of these

http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=T40S-C&cat=4

Ive taken a look at the instructions but they are not very clear so im not sure whether this product would be suitable or not and how it should be wired up.

i popped the current switches off the wall an this is how the wiring looks:

Switch 1 has 5 wires going into it.

Switch 2 has 3 wires going into it

The back of the timer switch looks like this:

View media item 87162

Id like to wire the timer to the 3 wire switch if possible
Can anyone advise whether the switch ive chosen will be compatible and how best to wire it?

Side Note: On removing both switches, the earth wires are not connected to anything.. :eek:

Is this reason for concern and something i should fix as a priority?

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes it looks as if the timer does not require a neutral connection so , it will work in you're current set up.

If you can comfirm which one of the two way switches has the permanent live connected to it that will make it easier, the instructions are fairly clear as to how to connect to a two way switch. The earth wire is not connected as you have a plastic box and switch it should be put into a connector block and tucked into the back of the box.

Kind regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Diagrams 5,6 and 7 show exactly how this should be done.

We can't see all of the diagrams from the photo, diagram 6 seems to indicate that the wiring needs to be changed at both switches for it to work....

No. The diagram is quite clear as to how it should be wired.

Regards.

DS

Here's another pic if the instructions.

View media item 87176
I dud a multimeter check at both switches.the red wires are the permanent lives and the blue wire wuth red sleeving is the switched live.

So, how does it work then?

I would assume the "3rd wire" becomes a live feed when the time switch is off, enabling the user to switch the light on from switch 2 but not bridging out the time switch ?

The lamp has two switch wires, a bit odd !

Regards,

DS

Try this -

Time switch @ 3 wire switch position -

Live = red
Load = blue with red band
2way = yellow

Switch with 5 wires , rewire as follows :

Remove reds from switch and connect together into terminal block.

Com = blue +black
L1 = yellow
L2 = not used.

Regards,

DS

I wired every thing up as per DS'es advice.

The timer seems to do its job of switching the lights on an off at the programmed times and the manual overide works, allowing it to be used like a normal switch.

The rewired 5 wire switch is a bit odd though...

With the lights off and the timer on auto mode. The rewired 5 wire doesnt do anyting in either position.

If I set the timer to manual override the switch the 5 wire switch on, the lights come on but flash intermittently. If I flick the switch to the off position the lights then remson on normally. I cant switch the lights off from the 5 wire switch as they either stay on constantly or flash continuously.

The timer is only being installed temporarilly for a week or two so this isnt a massive issue as I can leave the Rewired 5 wire switch in the off position and let the timer switch the lights on and off in auto mode.

It would be nice to get everything working correctly though

Hi, it sounds as if you have a permanent live at the switch position ? By your reckoning the Reds are PL did you disconnect them from the switch ?

Regards,

DS

I wired every thing up as per DS'es advice.
Ok.

The timer seems to do its job of switching the lights on an off at the programmed times and the manual overide works, allowing it to be used like a normal switch.
Presumably working, then.

The rewired 5 wire switch is a bit odd though...
It certainly is.

With the lights off and the timer on auto mode. The rewired 5 wire doesnt do anyting in either position.
Is it supposed to?
Reading "Automatic OR manual control" it may not be.

If I set the timer to manual override then switch the 5 wire switch on, the lights come on but flash intermittently. If I flick the switch to the off position the lights then remains on on normally.
That, presumably, is ON, then so flashes when off.
Are you are using a filament bulb?

I cant switch the lights off from the 5 wire switch as they either stay on constantly or flash continuously.
Check diagram 6 and make sure you have wired it 'correctly'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back