shower extractor fan isolator switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone help? We have a Silavent fan fixed in the ceiling space above the shower. The fan is controlled by the light switch. Next to the light switch is an isolator switch. The fan has stopped working so I need to replace it. Is it sufficent to switch off the isolator switch so I can safely work on the fan or should I switch off the whole lighting circuit that the bathroom light is part of.

I guess I am also asking what is the purpose of the isolator switch?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are sure the isolators is for the fan, you can isolate the power.
But you MUST then prove that the circuit to the fan is dead, using a two probe approved voltage indicator! This is regardless of what method of isolation you use!
Fan failure can be down to a number of things, sometimes a loose connection, sometimes PCB failure and some have in-line slow blow fuses that have popped!

Hi. Can anyone help? We have a Silavent fan fixed in the ceiling space above the shower. The fan is controlled by the light switch. Next to the light switch is an isolator switch. The fan has stopped working so I need to replace it. Is it sufficent to switch off the isolator switch so I can safely work on the fan or should I switch off the whole lighting circuit that the bathroom light is part of.
I guess I am also asking what is the purpose of the isolator switch?
Is the switch a fused connection switch similar to this?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-dp-sw-fcu/13479
Or is it similar to this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-10a-3-pole-fan-isolator-sw/12319
Did the 'broken' fan have a timer over run? So that when the light was switched off the fan carried on runnng for a few minutes.

Sponsored Links
This three pole isolator is normally fitted for extractor fans with an over run timer so make you replace the current broken fan with a similar type model otherwise you will have to disconnect and make safe the permanet live.
As PBofD stated this switch should isolated all three live cables from the fan Switch Live, Permanent Live and Neutral.
However, you need to ensure that the power at the fan is dead by testing with a two prong tester - not a screwdrive or a magic wand.
If you cannot test the circuit is dead then turn all the power off the installation while you work on the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back