Smeg TR93 Cooker Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always installed cookers myself, by hard-wiring (using cable specified in the manual) between the terminal at the rear of the cooker and the terminal on the wall (40A cooker circuit).

I have removed my old cooker and had a new cooker delivered this morning, need to connect it (40A and 6mm 3 core cable as apt.) but this is the first cooker i've had that doesn't have an external terminal box on the rear. Just 3 v. short (L, N, E) protruding cables (probably 3mm width) with a sticker on saying 'not to be used for wiring the cooker'.

I assume that I need to remove the back panel and these wires are only there to show the correct wiring config. Can anyone suggest if this is the case and if it is normal to have to remove the back panel to wire a cooker? Don't want to start disassembling a brand new cooker if I shouldn't!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Each oven tends to be different. But surely the instructions will tell you what to do regarding the removal or not of the cooker's rear panel.
They should also tell what size cable (normally heat resistant) to purchase to connect to your cooker connection unit.

Is this the dual fuel gas/hob electric oven model - TR93BL/TR93P?
If so then the manual seems to suggest that it is 6mm ² three core heat proof cable and that it must be fitted by an engineer.
I would suspect that if you start taking the back of you will invalid the warranty in some way.
There are also specific torque settings for the terminals.
Best option if you are unsure is to contact Smeg customer services and seek their view.

Sponsored Links
it must be fitted by an engineer.
Are they allowed to do that, unless it's FOC?
As I said if this is the dual fuel model the instruction manual states:
Have the electrical connection performed by authorised technical personnel.

Their 5 year guarantee t&c state:
Exceptions to Cover
1. Costs arising from you failing to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

They could also have a clause which says that if the customer has red hair they will p**s on their carpets. Just because they put it in their literature, or even in their contracts, that doesn't mean that they are allowed to do it, or that it can be enforced.

They could also have a clause which says that if the customer has red hair they will p**s on their carpets. Just because they put it in their literature, or even in their contracts, that doesn't mean that they are allowed to do it, or that it can be enforced.
No I have read the terms and conditions and it definitely doesn't have this as a clause!

Indeed not.

My point is that companies simply may not put whatever they like in their contracts, and I have doubts over whether Smeg can insist that only an "authorised" person may connect 3 wires to 3 terminals, or that they can get out of honoring a warranty except by showing that the owner really did cause the damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back