Solar panels setup

Sponsored Links
Yes, My brother just told me to look up in how to make panels from cells you can buy.

Thanks.

I have fitted solar panels on a narrow boat before and it's quite easy to do but been reading up on doing the same on a house and it seems a little more difficult.

To get the money from sending power to the grid off the power company's you have to have them installed by a MCS certified company so basically I could do the set up myself for maybe £2.5k but because I have to get a company to do it it will cost me £5k.

Is there a way round this MCS crap.

Sponsored Links
TBH I don't think it's worth the hassle in this country.

These company's renting roofs for 25 years must be earning something.

TBH I have been impressed with the solar setup on the boat if you have low watt equipment.

I have been looking into this course from NICEIC for MCS training.

http://www.niceic.com/training/renewables/solar-pv

Would this let me sign off a solar setup and would I get on it with my C&G 2330 Level 3 + 17th edition?

It costs quite a lot but still I think I would still be saving money on getting a firm in to install them.

I may even get work from it.

I have been looking into this course from NICEIC for MCS training.

http://www.niceic.com/training/renewables/solar-pv

Would this let me sign off a solar setup and would I get on it with my C&G 2330 Level 3 + 17th edition?

"Who should attend?

Individuals who wish to self-certify solar PV installations through the NICEIC MCS Installer Scheme (or other government scheme operators)."

No - but it does allow you to join the NICEIC MCS Installer Scheme, once you've also met their other requirements and paid them some more £££

http://www.niceic.com/join-us/microgeneration

I think that you have to be an NICEIC registered contractor before they'll let you anywhere near their MCS scheme.

Otherwise you would not be able to understand the implications on the existing and new installation.

I think that you have to be an NICEIC registered contractor before they'll let you anywhere near their MCS scheme.

Otherwise you would not be able to understand the implications on the existing and new installation.

May well be one of the "other requirements" I alluded to - I didn't bother to look at them!

Seems to me that if the OP wants to benefit from the FIT then he'll have to bite the bullet and pay for an MCS installer to do the work.

I hate this country sometimes.

There is always someone that wants to empty you pockets of cash.

TBH I don't think it's worth the hassle in this country.
If you look at it from the power production side then I'd be inclined to agree - we have "far from ideal" conditions in this country.

But, if you look at it from a cash generating perspective, then I believe they are fairly efficient. Efficient that is at taking cash from lots of people without their own roof and a spare £10K to give to people who do own their own roof and do have £10k spare.

Or as my brother put it, "if they're giving out free cash, I'll have some of that" ! He got in before the cut in FIT rate, and he's "well happy".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back