Sorry - another induction hob / oven wiring one (specs incl)

BHI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice please...

My Sparky is away for a while (unsure how long - family bereavement) but I need to get the kitchen walls plastered to keep things moving, so looking for confirmation of the best approach before the chases are filled, yet not doing anything that he'll need to undo / set-back the project - especially as I have only just gone firm on the appliances (and all important technical specs in the manuals!)

The appliances are:

1. Induction Hob - Logik LINDHOB10
2. Double Oven - Beko DBDM223X

The sparky still needs to fit the new CU, but has run a new 10mm2 2+E cable which will go from a 40A MCB to a recessed 47mm 2G backbox for a 45A MK Cooker Switch (yes, the one with an incorporated 13A plug socket). That part of the chase (to above the worktop) has since been hardwalled in, but I now need to plaster the short stretch below the Cooker Switch to the worktop level - and need to run cables to the hob and to the oven. My Sparky originally said that it'd be best to keep it in 10mm2 as per the supply radial, but having looked at the instruction manuals, it's clear that 10mm2 won't wire straight in to the terminal boxes - nor are they heat resistance flex...

The remainder of the 10mm2 also currently runs from the Cooker Switch backbox to another recessed 35mm 1G backbox behind (and just below) where the double oven will be fitted. This has about a 1.5m tail that might be needed to be cut and used to go from the Cooker Switch to the induction hob?

1. Induction Hob - Logik LINDHOB10:
Total power: 6.4-7.2kW
Cable type / section: H05V2V2-F 3x6mm2 / 3x2.5mm2

From the instruction manual:
Why the N1/N2 and L1/L2? European compatibility?

2. Double Oven - Beko DBDM223X
Total power: 4.8kW (main oven: 2.2kW / top oven: 2.2kW)
Fuse: min 25A
Cable type / section: H05W-FG 3x2.5mm2 or equivalent
Cable length: max 2m

From the instruction manual:

Questions
1. Obviously I don't want to invalidate the warranties by not using the manufacturer specified heat-resistant flex, but how do you safely drop from 10mm2 to the sizes mentioned? Through Cooker Connection Plates? Do these need fusing (ie FCU)?

2. Can both these appliances be safely connected to the single 45A Cooker Switch? What size 2+E to run from the Cooker Switch to the Connection Plates and/or directly to the appliances?

3. Not sure why, but having scoured this forum, I understand that the Cooker Switches with incorporated 13A plug socket can cause problems too?

I'm not going to do any more than get the cables to the right places with the right amount of tail, so your help is appreciated so I can move along with what I can in the meantime.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
My Sparky is away for a while (unsure how long - family bereavement)

Is there not any other ones in Hampshire? Seems like a business oppotunitiy

To be fair, it's only been a week so far... I'd rather he finished the whole project as he'll be signing it off - but you're right, I might need to get someone else in to just do the kitchen as progress is now being held up.

Ah, Martin, see that you're also in Hampshire! What are you up to today / tomorrow?! I'm in north Winchester (the old Army quarters) if you're local?

Sponsored Links
Questions
1. Obviously I don't want to invalidate the warranties by not using the manufacturer specified heat-resistant flex, but how do you safely drop from 10mm2 to the sizes mentioned? Through Cooker Connection Plates? Do these need fusing (ie FCU)?
You change the MCB to 32A and use 4mm² cable for the oven.

Actually 4mm² would be satisfactory for the hob as well.

Thank you for the reply... I know these come up again and again, which is why I tried to include as much specific appliance info as possible.

Just to confirm that you're saying a 32A MCB will still safely handle the 7.2kW induction hob, 4.8kW double oven, and the cooker switch plug socket? Even in worst-case scenario when they're all at full tilt? I think people refer to the Christmas Dinner test?!

A pair of 4mm2 cables from the cooker switch to the hob and oven respectively are okay even though the switch is supplied by 10mm2?

Just to confirm that you're saying a 32A MCB will still safely handle the 7.2kW induction hob, 4.8kW double oven, and the cooker switch plug socket?
Yes.

12,000W / 230 = 52.17A (probably quoted at 240V which makes it less).

Then diversity for cookers -

52.17 - 10 x 0.3 + 10 + 5 = 27.65A.

Even in worst-case scenario when they're all at full tilt? I think people refer to the Christmas Dinner test?!
Has it ever happened?

A pair of 4mm2 cables from the cooker switch to the hob and oven respectively are okay even though the switch is supplied by 10mm2?
Yes, but from the connector under the worktop - not the switch.

4mm² butyl flex is good for 35A.

• Thanks
Reactions: BHI
You're a star, thank you...

Under the worktop level is only where I need to get the tails to for now. Will use the excess 10mm2 to the connector plate locations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back