Split Load Consumer Unit Connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - Building a garage and I have done all the wiring, sockets , lights and running of external cabling and have arranged for for a qualified electrician to come and test / sign off my garage ( 6mm swa to garage RCD consumer unit) a week from now. I have prepared the area for testing and final connection with an 40amp MCB on the non RCD side however the split load Neutral connections have only 1 spare on the RCD side - would this be ok to use for the Neutral feed or will this cause problems .
Also the 40 amp MCB is a Volex type B which is slightly different from the older type Volex MCB's ( I was told they are compatable though at Screwfix) - is this true ?
Would like to have everything ready for a straightforward job for the electrician.

Sponsored Links
Why not ask the qualified electrician who is coming to sign off the work?

BTW, we're not allowed to sign off someone else's work as our own (understandably) so the best you can hope for is an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) rather than an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate)

....40amp MCB on the non RCD side however the split load Neutral connections have only 1 spare on the RCD side - would this be ok to use for the Neutral feed or will this cause problems
You're asking a gobsmacking question like that at this stage of the work?

When you started, what made you think you were competent?

Leave it all alone - don't do anything else - let the electrician sort it out.

Thanks for your responses guys , I will wait for the electrician to deal as you recommend - always interested in the job in hand and just trying to get ahead of the game and have everything ready!
Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back