Spur off ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me if I am right in thinking that a spur off a 32 Amp ring circuit is acceptable even though the 2.5 twin and earth cable wouldnt be adequately protected against overload. Some of the sockets in my house have 3 sets of cables and some only have 1. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can spur of a ring final circuit (RFC) but only one spurred socket outlet per socket outlet on the RFC. Using 2.5mm T&E as cable for spur is acceptable.
The chances are that the outlets with 3 sets of cables are being spurred from and the outlets with one set are the spurs.

Thanks. Isnt there a fire risk on the spur due to lack of overload protection?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Sorry to go on but I thought 2.5 was rated at less than 32 Amps.

The current on the spur is limited by the nature of the load (theoretically 26A max. for a double socket, but that's another story !)
As long as the device at the CU provides short circuit protection then there is no problem. (Subject to the install conditions of the spur cable)

Thanks. Sorry to go on but I thought 2.5 was rated at less than 32 Amps.

It is, but the maximum that can be drawn (in theory) from one double socket is only 26A (although most won't handle more than 20). 26A is (usually, providing thermal de-rating factors aren't a problem) ok on a 2.5mm and that is why you're only allowed one double docket on any given spur...

damn - too slow

Thanks. Every days a school day, except saturdays and sundays, a week at easter, a week at halloween, few days for half term, 2 months at summer and a fortnight at christmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back