Standard light fitting not working..help needed please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm having problems wiring a standard light fitting in the living room. There is 3 cables coming through the ceiling, and in each of them is 1 black, 1 red and 1 yellow/ green ( on one of the black cables there is a red plastic cover on a bit of it.
Not sure if its something to do with the dimmer switch we have in the living room. Any help or suggestions please... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Red = Brown
Black = Blue

ceiling_rose_newcolours_T.png

Thanks I have wired it up like that but still not working. How can you tell which is in or out. I have uploaded pics on my profile. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks I have wired it up like that but still not working. How can you tell which is in or out. I have uploaded pics on my profile. Cheers
It doesn't matter!
On ceiling rose
all reds to loop live central terminals.
Black with red sleeve to live side were brown flex of lamp is
Remaining blacks to neutral side, where blue flex is.

Why do you think it is dimmer problem? try changing dimmer for a standard switch and see if the light works.
So we can then eliminate the circuit wiring to the ceiling rose.

Hi I'm having problems wiring a standard light fitting in the living room. There is 3 cables coming through the ceiling, and in each of them is 1 black, 1 red and 1 yellow/ green ( on one of the black cables there is a red plastic cover on a bit of it.
Not sure if its something to do with the dimmer switch we have in the living room. Any help or suggestions please... :oops:

Could you confirm you haven't touched anything,or has the fault happened post "fiddling"- or attempting to change a light fitting, switch etc?

I did try putting up halogen spotlights but that wasn't working so tried to put the original standard light fitting back up... :?: :cry:
I have changed the bulbs so its definitely not that...it just doesn't switch on at all... :rolleyes:

Well, you can only make sure the conductors are terminated correctly and not snapped or pinching the insulation.

If all the other lights are working then it is not likely to be the reds or blacks - that only leaves one.

If you shorted any wires during the work the dimmer could be damaged.

Have you tried replacing dimmer with an ordinary switch yet?

Did you first of all connect all the reds together and all the blacks together, and blow the fuse / trip the MCB before you came here for help?

Yes I did put all the blacks and reds together the first time so it could be a possibility. Would it not blow all the rest of the lights in the house too if that had happened?

Connecting them all together means that when you switched the switch on the switch ( or dimmer ) put a dead short across Live and Neutral. That will have damged / destroyed the switch or dimmer.

Not always. It might have used your dimmer as the fuse and taken that out rather than the fuse / circuit breaker at your CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back