Steinel Motion Sensor & Connected Loads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an outdoor wall light (2 x GU10) installed when the house was built which is wired to a plug socket and fused accordingly.

I have recently installed some outdoor LED lights which run using 2 of the power supplies which can be found here.

I would like to install a motion sensor which when activated will turn both the wall light and LED lights. I was thinking that the motion sensor would be wired to the existing fuse supplying the wall light, with the return from the sensor going into a junction box with a feed to the wall light and the LED power supplies.

The motion detector I was planning to install can be found here and provides the following outputs:

- 1000 W max. (resistive load, e.g. filament bulb)
- 500 W max. (uncorrected, inductive,
cos ϕ = 0.5, e.g. fl uorescent lamps)
- 900 W max. (series corrected)
- 500 W max. (parallel corrected, with C ≤ 45.6 μF)
- 600 W max. (electronic ballasts, capacitive,
e.g. low-energy lamps, max. of 6 each. C ≤ 132 μF)

I will use an electrician to make the final mains connection but would like to buy the necessary products and do the prep work.

I would just like to be sure that the motion detector will adequately power both the wall light and LED lights without any problems. Gut feel says it will but any views would be appreciated.

Apologies for the novice question!

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
There should be no problems with that load on the Steinel.

It may be of benefit to fit over ride switches so the lights can manually controlled as well as automatically.

Sponsored Links
Gents,

Thanks for the replies. Not thought about the switch option and have since seen your comments on a previous thread involving an MK Grid Switch.

Please can I just clarify what I need to get to complete this installation involving a wall light and LED connected to a PIR with permanent ON override (with the supply being taken from a plug socket):

• Steinel IS2180-2 (suitable for switched option);
    Standard 3 core + earth cable (would this be acceptable given that the cable will go semi-externally to the PIR and wall light or would I need an alternative cable with enough cores for the switched option);
    MK grid switch 20amp + back box, etc;
    There is an existing fused switch before the wall light. Out of interest to what specification should this be as I will need to incorporate a fuse in the supply to the MK switch/PIR in the new installation;
    2 way junction box to split the PIR live (and switched live) between the wall light and LED power supplies.
    Anything else?

I have a few electrical jobs so will get a local electrician to pop round and check everything, but would like to do all the prep and get things semi-installed (as much for the learning experience than anything).

Many thanks again,

Damian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back