storage heaters not working - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could help. I've just bought my first flat and having a bit of a nightmare with the storage heaters!
I've turned them on at the wall so they work with the Eco 7 however nothing seems to be happening during the night. The input is up high and output low until I want to turn them on but no heat whatsoever. The automatic heating is working but obviously costing me a fortune!
The Eco 7 switch IS working on the immersion heater so must be something wrong with the heaters

Any ideas?

I am a bit clueless when it comes to DIY/electrics etc so answers in plain English please! :)

Thank you all in advance!

Sponsored Links
Seldom more than 1 heater fails at the same time, Is storage heating consumer/fuse board switched on?.

Can you upload a pic of meter & consumer/fuseboard layout.

It does seem weird that both are broken at the same time, I'm fully expecting it to be something I'm doing wrong!

Images of the fuse box should be below, there are 2x bits for heating but 3 heaters (one of these is just an automatic heater with no input/output

Apologies for the bad quality - balancing on a chair with low light!

Sponsored Links
Can you upload pic of meter layout.

How would that help?

They say they have two storage heaters and immersion. Immersion works. Immersion and two heater fuses can be seen on the off peak side of dual rate CU.

Either both fuses are blown in the CU (the two on the right saying heater), which would be unusual, or more than likely, the thermal trips inside the heater have operated. It's not that unusual to find two tripped.

There is also an Immersion 24 hours fuse, which may be what is heating the water. Either the top heater on a 2-heater setup, or the immersion may be supplied from the 24 hour circuit and have its own off-peak/boost timer.

Therefore it's still possible there's a problem with no off-peak supply to the board.

There is also an Immersion 24 hours fuse, which may be what is heating the water. Either the top heater on a 2-heater setup, or the immersion may be supplied from the 24 hour circuit and have its own off-peak/boost timer.

Therefore it's still possible there's a problem with no off-peak supply to the board.

There are clearly TWO circuits for the immersion, one labelled "Immersion Econ", right next to the two that are labelled "Heaters". These MEM Dual Tarrif boards have two main switches - The left hand one here is supplying the off peak circuits. It's pretty clear.

The OP also clearly states "The Eco 7 switch IS working on the immersion heater".

There are clearly TWO circuits for the immersion, one labelled "Immersion Econ", right next to the two that are labelled "Heaters". These MEM Dual Tarrif boards have two main switches - The left hand one here is supplying the off peak circuits. It's pretty clear.

The OP also clearly states "The Eco 7 switch IS working on the immersion heater".

That could mean a

HOR_economy7quartz_1.jpg

off the peak supply though.

Nope. Not in my opinion.

There are clearly two circuits from that CU, one labelled "immersion" and one labelled "immersion econ", and that one being on the OFF PEAK main switch side of the CU. It is so clear.

282dcsw.jpg

Thanks for your responses although they might as well be in different language to me!
Are you able to suggest what I do to amend the problem? Perhaps replacing the fuses to see if that helps? If it doesn't do I just need to get an electrician in or is there anything else I could try myself?

Thanks!

Photo of storage heaters? Perhaps with cover removed, and a photo of the top left controls under the cover?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back