Switched spur connecting house to detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Probably a simple question...

I have a double socket which feeds two switched fused connection units all next to each other; the second one is for providing electricity to a detached garage and is connected via the first one which in turn is connected to the back of the double socket. I guess the outdoor cable was not connected to the control unit because the latter is located right on the other side of the house.

I have removed the wall light so will no longer need the first switched fused connection unit (located between the second one and the double socket). Could i remove the first one and only use one instead?

I need to be able to switch the power off to the garage (which I hardly use). Would I need to get an rcd switched fused unit probably like the one on the link below?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spur-13amp-...=UTF8&qid=1369297578&sr=8-1&keywords=rcd+spur

Or even this one for indoors?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-switched-weatherproof-rcd-fcu/20523#

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I guess the outdoor cable was not connected to the control unit because the latter is located right on the other side of the house.

What does this mean? What outdoor cable, the one connected to the 2nd FCU? what control unit, is this the 2nd FCU?

Depending on how they are wired, you would need to remove one of those.
It sounds like a spur off a spur = not allowed!

Also, what makes you think that you need an RCD. ??
That socket (that the FCUs are connected to). Is that protected by an RCD in the consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
What outdoor cable, the one connected to the 2nd FCU? what control unit, is this the 2nd FCU?

Sorry, I mean the thick black outdoor undergrround cable that is connected to an FCU from the house to the garage. I should have said that the consumer unit (not control unit) is located right on the other side of the house.

It sounds like a spur off a spur = not allowed!

Also, what makes you think that you need an RCD. ??
That socket (that the FCUs are connected to). Is that protected by an RCD in the consumer unit?

That's probably why the wall light somehow never worked from the first FCU...

There is an RCD in the consumer unit, therefore it looks like all sockets are protected... The garage can get severe condensation in the winter but I've never had problems so far.

The underground cable is connected to the second FCU and is buried under the earth until it reaches the outdoor garage which is about 60 feet away from the house.

On one of the Live cables, the red seath is slighly damaged (one small but not complete cut). The copper cable is fine. Is that anything to be concerned about ? They only seem to sell Neutral yellow and green seaths in shops. Can I wrap red insulating tape around it?

Sorry, I incorrectly typed 'Neutral' rather then 'Earth' for yellow and green. What I originally meant was that I can only find yellow and green seath in the shops but not red or black. So, since I can't find it would red insulating tape be acceptable to wrap round the very minor damage that is on the red seath?

The standard colours nw are brown for live, so use some of that. You'll get a small length in one of the 'sheds'.

Don't use plastic tape. It falls off over time and just leaves a sticky mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back