Two way light switch wiring diagram.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any wonder this question is asked so often when the instruction which come with the light show not how to use two switches with one light but how to use one switch to work two separate lights?

The switch marking was not the normal Com and L1 + L2 so I unfolded the instructions easier than using meter. The switch was a water resistance type for outside but only one I could find in a hurry with a large switch so mother could easy use it in the dark from her bed.

This switch as a 1 gang 2 way version was best I could find in a hurry.

I looked at the instructions in disbelief. OK for me not a problem, but how many really want a two way switch to switch between two lights.

Sponsored Links
I looked at the instructions in disbelief. OK for me not a problem, but how many really want a two way switch to switch between two lights.
That does sound extremely daft, if it's the only use of the switch it describes! Could you post (or link to) all the relevant parts of the instructions ?

Kind Regards, John

Wish I had kept the instructions. But binned them sorry. Had the switch had the standard Com L1 and L2 I would have not even looked at the instructions can't remember the symbol but not one I knew so quick look at instructions.

I suppose you can only really use a two way switch in the common way as one of a pair so the diagram would be only real way to use a single switch. As indicator for doctors consulting room it would work of course but I would think most are used to control a single lamp with two switches.

Sponsored Links
Wish I had kept the instructions. But binned them sorry.
fair enough, but that's a bit of a pity.
I suppose you can only really use a two way switch in the common way as one of a pair so the diagram would be only real way to use a single switch.
True, but that doesn't usually stop the instructions which come with one 2-way switch indicating how a pair should be wired for standard '2-way' light switching. The only use (of a single 2-way switch) they appear to explain must relate to a vanishingly small proportion of the 2-way switches which are in service.
As indicator for doctors consulting room it would work of course but I would think most are used to control a single lamp with two switches.
I think you are being unnecessarily kind to them. Doctors' consulting rooms are not usually outdoors, so I don't imagine they were contemplating such a use for the switch!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back