underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i have underfloor heating installed. its tripping the fuse , its been connected to a 16amp fuse, i doubt is it the right size or the electrician has done a totally stupid thing. Sockets are connected to 32amp circuit , but is this is the right thing he has done. Heating size was 8m.sq when i bough.
Please just give me an idea of the problem, because electricians are quoting me a big price.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Where is the 16 amp fuse?

You wouldn't connect anything with a 16 amp fuse to a socket circuit normally.

13 amp max is usual for things connected to a 32 amp ring circuit.

If it is a 16 amp circuit perhaps it is a dedicated circuit from the consumer unit.

There could be a fault causing the fuse to blow.

8 m sq is large. Do you know how many Watts the heating mat is?

hi,
thanks for the reply, i explain more,
the 150w/m and total 8m length. So, i say 1200 watts in total, in fuse box say E.Heat shows 16A on it, the fuse Spur unit connected is 13amp as you said, is right.
Fault is not possible, because, its been placed very carefully and check twice before covering up.
Electricians quote me that 2.5mm cable is not enough? One said, 20A fuse would do the job,
What shall i do, i have no big money to spend on it. If i know the reason some how, i can argue with them and save a bit.
Do you say, It must have its own dedicated circuit e.g seperate for bathroom, seperate for kitchen(if there is any) and seperate for living room, if there is any, or we can connect all or two together in one circuit?

I know i am going away , but it will help me to understand some problems here. Thanks for looking into it.

1200 watts is a bit over 5 amps, so its not overloaded because of current.

The thing that is tripping. Has it a test button on it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back