Wall mounted light with cord will not switch off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have an issue with the light above my mirror. It switches on and off via a cord. However, at the moment, when I pull the cord, it will not turn off. There is no click, no resistance, no nothing.

I live in student accommodation and as it is a Saturday, there is no one on site that can have a look at it until Monday. This also means that I cannot simply kill the electrics in my room or call out an electrician either.

This is rather frustrating as I would like to go to sleep but I have a studio flat so the light is filling the room and disturbing me.

Is there anything I can do by myself? I have already removed the screw with a pair of tweezers to remove the plastic guard but my untrained eyes cannot see any obvious problems. If anyone could give me some instruction, I would be greatly appreciative.

Sponsored Links
remove the bulb/tube (with care). Assuming it's a strip light:

If it's a fluorescent 'roll' the tube and it should unclick and pop forwards

If it's a filament light (gets hot) one of the end caps should slide sideways allowing the bulb to be removed (great care as the exposed end of the bulb will be live)

Sponsored Links
see if there's a make/model number and google for instructions. Or post a photo up here and see if anyone's still awake. (I won't be)

Selina, if it is one of the combo shaver socket & light units then just removing the cover should turn off the bulb.
Many have a ssafety feature that turns off the power whent the cover is removed :D
See
for a quick guide

Nope, the light is still on. Found out my neighbors bathroom light is also permanently on too. Have informed the staff now that it's a weekday. I did have a bit of relief yesterday though in the form of two power cuts though.

I did find a PDF of the instruction manual but I couldn't find anything about removing the bulb. I tried poking around in the light too but it didn't jog anything. But I have been sleeping through it fine as I now have a raging cold!

I shall wait for them to send someone.

Aww, thank you everyone for the suggestions and for asking if I got it solved!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back