Which cable for an induction Hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I'm finishing off fitting my kitchen & just need to decide what flexi cable I need to fit the 4 ring induction Hob. I will be getting a sparky marra of mine round to finish off the electrics when he finally manages to get a day off, but I need everything in & ready for when he turns up as it's a freebee favor. So I just need to pick up some H05V2V2-F cable but I can't seem to work out what size. Instructions say 3x6mm/3x2.5mm, heres some photos of instructions bellow:

Any help appreciated
Cheers

Sponsored Links
You need cable which can carry 7200W/230V = 32Amps. Use cabling which can support this. Remember though, you also may want ongoing compatibility (maybe you'll want to change your hob in a few years time by which time you may want something more powerfull).

Use this link to work out the best cable

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html

As it's a kitchen that you're working in though, the work will also be notifiable but as long as your mate is a part p registered electrician, he'll be able to carry the work out for you and test it too and then sign it off as well. If not, you'll have to let your council know about the work that you're doing.

You should follow the manufacturers instructions - if they are unclear then contact them to clarify.
In my experience the 3*6mm2/3*2.5mm2 means that their expectation is that the circuit from the MCB (probably 32Amp) to the cooker connection unit should be a minimum of 6mm2 T&E and from the cooker connection unit to the cooker itself should a minimum of 2.5mm2 HO5V heat protected cable. Those cable sizes are a minimum and will depend on a number of potential derating factors not least insulation, cable length and diversity.
But your electrician friend should work out these calculations for you.

What the instructions actually (rather obscurely) mean is that the terminals will take from 2.5-6mm cable. You can either fit seperate 2.5 to each terminal from your wall connection unit, OR you can fit a single 6mm (l+n) to L1 and N1 and connect L2 and N2 using the supplied connectors, which are probably already installed. Connect the earth and CHECK TIGHTNESS OF ALL FACTORY CONNECTIONS

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back