Why wont my new light fitment work !!!!!

Rzw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really hoping someone can help me I am totally lost I am replacing two light fitments in the hall they have two way switches and work fine. I am swapping them for a metal fitment which holds three halogen bulbs. Downstairs hall works fine. Upstairs hall either will simply not work or it works but stays on and won't turn off. Here is what I have comin from the ceiling housed in 2 grey sleeves: 2 brown wires, 1 earth wire, 1 Blue wire and 1 blue wire with brown tape over it. Here is what I have coming from my new light fitment: all wired into a plastic box. 1 blue, 1 brown and no neutral so that slot in the plastic box is empty. Have tried doing what I thought was correct plus copying the previous one and no joy. Driving me mad. Will be so thankful of any help.

Sponsored Links
May sound obvious but have you checked that the bulbs work?
Next, are all connections made the same as those previously?
Are all connections secure?
Did you make a diagram of how it was wired to the old fitting?
Do you have, or can you post some pictures?

2 grey sleeves: 2 brown wires, 1 earth wire, 1 Blue wire and 1 blue wire with brown tape over it. Here is what I have coming from my new light fitment: all wired into a plastic box. 1 blue, 1 brown and no neutral so that slot in the plastic box is empty. Have tried doing what I thought was correct plus copying the previous one and no joy. Driving me mad. Will be so thankful of any help.

Hi,

Try connecting the two brown wires from the ceiling together in the "spare slot" on the light fitting, connect the blue from the ceiling to the blue on the fitting, connect the blue with brown tape from the ceiling to the brown on the fitting. Make sure that you also connect the green/yellow (earth) from the ceiling to the new fitting as it is metal.

Well, we haven't heard from him for an hour and a half......so he's either dead, or the advice worked. :)

It's actually quite funny, the amount of times this happens: "Why won't my light fitting work??"

Because you didn't take careful note of where the cables went. :)

Sponsored Links
Ok trying to attach two pics now. First is how it was wired int the old light second shows all the ceiling wires that I have from the ceiling. On the light I only have three slots to put wires into so their is no slot to enter the two browns. I think I put them out the way in a separate plastic box. Don't know if it matters but if I wire the ceiling earth into the earth slot there is no earth in the light wires. The light came with blue and brown already wired into plastic box but the earth slot has nothing in it. I mean the fitment has no earth. Hope that helps. Ps I am a girl and still alive although this is driving me nuts ! Originally I simply copied the wiring as it is into the old light but no joy. Bulbs are all ok I double checked. Really don't get it. Spent ages doing this in bedroom light and it all made sense but no joy now. When I did get it to work it wouldn't turn off and I think I did that by wiring in all the browns.

Ok trying to attach two pics now. First is how it was wired int the old light second shows all the ceiling wires that I have from the ceiling. On the light I only have three slots to put wires into so their is no slot to enter the two browns. I think I put them out the way in a separate plastic box. Don't know if it matters but if I wire the ceiling earth into the earth slot there is no earth in the light wires. The light came with blue and brown already wired into plastic box but the earth slot has nothing in it. I mean the fitment has no earth. Hope that helps. Ps I am a girl and still alive although this is driving me nuts ! Originally I simply copied the wiring as it is into the old light but no joy. Bulbs are all ok I double checked. Really don't get it. Spent ages doing this in bedroom light and it all made sense but no joy now. When I did get it to work it wouldn't turn off and I think I did that by wiring in all the browns.

The pictures will definitely help......and we will be able to sort it out, :)

Do you know if the new light fitting has a built in transformer.....this would exlain there only being a live and neutral to it (class 2 fitting)?

Send a picture of the light fitting.

We need to know if the third 'slot' is the earth terminal or an empty terminal to connect the two live wires. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO IDENTIFY THIS CONNECTION BEFORE CONNECTING ANYTHING UP.

Hi all I think I can't add the pics as I'm on a mac and it won't let me upload tomorrow am first thing I will be on my work pc so I can upload the photos on there which includes a third image of the light itself. Arrghhh always a DIY problem in this house. Thanks for all the help can't wait to work out what it is I am doing wrong.

Just a thought - might be usefull to know what wiring you have in your landing switch and what the connections are - another pic maybe? :)

ok i added photos. 1 is wiring as it is now out the ceiling 2 is how it was wired into previous light 3 and 4 are the new fitment

Hope this helps?

dont have a pic of how i wired the switch but its a double switch and was quite easy to do - exactly how the old one was wired in...

really hope you guys can help!!! :)

so you have
two browns cores
two blues cores (one with brown sleeve)
one earth core (should be two check that there are not two cores within green and yellow sleeving or that there is not one still within grey PVC sheath that has not been exposed and made off)

Right if this configuration is correct.
You need a separate 5 amp connection block for the two brown cores, they are terminated together but not connected to the fitting this supplies your switch with a permanent live.

The blue with brown sleeve goes to the Live of your fitting, so terminated at the brown flexes of the fitting, this is the live return/feed from the switch when the switch is operated.

The unmarked blue core goes to the neutral terminal of the fitting blue flexes. This a neutral conductor.

The two earth cores, the correct term is CPC(circuit protective conductor)
goes to the middle port in the terminal block on the fitting.

This middle port should also be fitted to the metal strip that you can see on the fitting, this can be done by sliding the terminal block over it at the middle port and tighten the grub screw. This must be done to earth your fitting.

And providing everything worked before and has not been altered, you should have a functional light.

ok think that makes sense.... where do i get the 5amp connection box from (is it just the plastic box thats on the light fitmnet) as i have a few of those kicking around - not sure how i know one is a 5 amp though.

On the downstairs hall light i did not put the metal strip into the earth slot - i guess i should have?! i can take it off and redo it ....

ok think that makes sense.... where do i get the 5amp connection box from (is it just the plastic box thats on the light fitmnet) as i have a few of those kicking around - not sure how i know one is a 5 amp though.
yes they are the same you only need one single block, not a block of three. 5A are the lowest you will find, it can be higher rated, just the restriction with space inside the fitting helps if the block is smaller.
On the downstairs hall light i did not put the metal strip into the earth slot - i guess i should have?! i can take it off and redo it ....
Do that, it is important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back