Wiring dual fuel cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello we have a dual fuel cooker, gas hobs and electric double oven.

Our last range cooker was just plugged into a conventional 13a socket.

This one says you have to wire it to to a suitable double pole control unit.
and

-The appliance can be connected
directly to the mains placing an
omnipolar switch with minimum
opening between the contacts of 3
mm between the appliance and the
mains

My question is we have a socket nearby but not above cooker. Can a suitable double pole control unit replace the conventional socket and wire it into this where a dedicated circuit will not be needed?

the total maximum power when everything is running is 4.68kw.

thanks

Sponsored Links
No, you cannot use a plug for this cooker.
At full wack it can draw over 20amps. It needs its own dedicated circuit.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking using a suitably rated control unit, the cooker has thick cables. but you saying dedicated circuit I guess you mean from the consumer unit?

Yes. Do you not have a "cooker" circuit in to the kitchen already?
If so
What is the rating of it?
what is connected to it at the moment?

Otherwise you'll need a registered electrician to provide a new dedicated circuit all the way from the consumer unit.

Re
My question is we have a socket nearby but not above cooker. Can a suitable double pole control unit replace the conventional socket and wire it into this where a dedicated circuit will not be needed?
I see what you are thinking: remove the existing socket and put a cooker control switch there.
NO That socket will probably be on a ring final circuit, and the only thing you can put in place of the socket would be a fused connection unit - with a maximum current draw of 13amps.

Sponsored Links
Otherwise you'll need a registered electrician to provide a new dedicated circuit all the way from the consumer unit.
You need a scheme member of a competent persons scheme for them to be able to issue a compliance certificate electricians can be registered with many electrical organisations and would be capable of doing the work but would need to register the work with the LABC and it is the charges levied by the LABC which means you need a scheme member so as not to have to pay the minimum charge.

This of course assumes that you need a new circuit. If one can utilise an existing circuit then in some areas like England it no longer needs to be notified.

It is unusual for a kitchen not to have a cooker supply. Normally 32A in some cases the immersion heater was switched from the kitchen these would normally use 2.5mm² which will normally allow 20A and cooker is 20.35A so near enough to 20A so where the immersion is not used which is common with combi boilers then you may have a supply you can use.

If I had not been in my house from new likely I would not realise three sockets in my house come from old immersion supply.

A ring final has special rules and you can't use that as your supply. Although the 4.68kW = 20A the manufacturer may recommend a MCB size. My cooker is something like a 60A load with everything on but manufacturer recommends a B32 MCB to supply it. So although rated 20A you may find designed to run on 16A MCB.

No dedicated cooker/boiler supply. The house looks to have had electrical work done in the past and new cu.

I've had a leccy in as it'll need a new circuit put in but they are not keen on routing the cabling. The cu and cooker point are on opposite ends of the house, it'll need going up and then across ceiling joist's and down into kitchen.

20a breaker, 6mm cabling and ccu with no socket connected to non rcd side of cu sound correct?

ballache

I've had a leccy in as it'll need a new circuit put in but they are not keen on routing the cabling. The cu and cooker point are on opposite ends of the house, it'll need going up and then across ceiling joist's and down into kitchen.
Are you saying that the electrician wants you to install the cable? If so, is this a registered self-certifying electrician who is able to notify this work for you (otherwise you will have to pay a very large notification fee), but is prepared to (dishonestly) declare that he has undertaken the 'construction' work him/herself?
20a breaker, 6mm cabling and ccu with no socket connected to non rcd side of cu sound correct?
Again, the electrician will have to certify that (s)he was responsible for the design of the new circuit - so you need to know his/her answer that question. That electrician may possibly feel that 6mm² cable is appropriate in terms of 'future proofing' but more than 4mm² is rarely actually needed for a cooker circuit, and even that is probably bigger than you need for your present purpose (with a 20A MCB).

Kind Regards, John

Are you saying that the electrician wants you to install the cable? If so, is this a registered self-certifying electrician who is able to notify this work for you (otherwise you will have to pay a very large notification fee), but is prepared to (dishonestly) declare that he has undertaken the 'construction' work him/herself?
Again, the electrician will have to certify that (s)he was responsible for the design of the new circuit - so you need to know his/her answer that question. That electrician may possibly feel that 6mm² cable is appropriate in terms of 'future proofing' but more than 4mm² is rarely actually needed for a cooker circuit, and even that is probably bigger than you need for your present purpose (with a 20A MCB).

Kind Regards, John

He is certified , it's of importance otherwise I would have installed it myself. I offered to route the cable but obviously let him make the connections as it may coincide with the floorboards coming up anyway. But tbh it seems more hassle than worth and may just sell this cooker and buy a 13a friendly one.

I don't mess with gas/electrics just not worth it, but getting two leccys off the street and getting the same answer is night on impossible.

those specs are the electricians recommendation, he did say 6mm is plentiful.

If the cable will be buried in the wall, at less than 50mm from the surface, then the circuit must be RCD protected.
Indeed so, but if the OP decides to go ahead with this (he now seems uncertain), hopefully his electrician will know that.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back