Wiring Extension Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had an electrician in to move a wall light 12" lower. It was done while I was at work and I came home to find:
He had drilled a channnel in the masonry and then moved the fitting. Then put a new bit of twin and earth cable in and joined the wires to the old cable with insulating tape. He hasn't put in any trunking, or a box where the wires have been joined to the new bit of twin and earth.
Is this normal practice?
Does he just expect me to plaster over this - it would surely be madness as the moisture would seep into the wires.

He's a friend of a friend and I suspect he's rubbish...

Many thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Joints have to be accessible, the electrician is incompetent, sack them!
Is the circuit RCD protected as that would also be required for newly buried cable.

Sponsored Links
Do you know how the cables have actually been joined?
Edit: damn it - typed too slowly again :)

Kind Regards, John

You say he has covered the wires with insulation tape - but how has he actually joined the cables?
He could well have crimped the cables together and used heat shrink cable covers.
But the other question is what would you be happy with?
Because the other options include sinking a backbox to make the cables accessible and putting a blanking plate on it.
Chasing out above the wall lamps (as well as below), taking up your floorboards above and replace the old cable with new back to its power source and/or switch.

Yes, I just peeled back the insulation tape and he's used (i think) a butt joiner and crimped the connections.

Surely I can't just plaster over all this wiring though!?

Yes, I just peeled back the insulation tape and he's used (i think) a butt joiner and crimped the connections.
Surely I can't just plaster over all this wiring though!?
Is the insulation tape standard or self amalgamating?

Can I just ask - is it normal practice to plaster straight over twin and earth?
Do you have to put some kind of trunking over it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back