Wiring Extractor Fan without Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Some time ago I bought this Extractor Fan for my bathroom (for my apartment renovation):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00755FMYC/

This fan has a timer, something which I don't really want (I bought it based on looks and brand). This seems to require three wires: Permanent Live, Switched Live and Neutral. However my wiring is just one live, a neutral and earth, and the fan is supposed to turn on with the light (an LED strip, if that matters).

My electrician connected the live (not sure if he connected it on the "Permanent Live" or the "Switched Live" and the Neutral, and left the earth unconnected.

It initially worked. It seemed very weak, but I assumed that this is how it was supposed to be. A few days later however it stopped working, and now I am getting a replacement.

My electrician told me that the fan simply went bad and that there was nothing wrong with the wiring, but I am not sure if I can trust him about this.

Additional info: The wires for the fan, seem to be connected to a 6amp MCB, along with all the lights in the apartment. When I turned on the LED lights the fan used to start also.

So, should I let my electrician install the replacement fan like he did with the first one? Or could it be that his wiring had something to do with the fan going bad, and that things should be done differently this time?

I attach the wiring instructions from the manual

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
There is no control in teh fan that will make it run slow(weak) so he is right that the fan is faulty.

Neutral goes to neutral; the switched live goes to live with a link to switched live. But your electrician will know this.

There is no control in teh fan that will make it run slow(weak) so he is right that the fan is faulty.

Neutral goes to neutral; the switched live goes to live with a link to switched live. But your electrician will know this.

He didn't make any links (I was there when he was installing it). He connected the live in one of the two places and the neutral in its place. He made no link.

Could this be the reason why the fan was slow (if it indeed was running slower than it should, I am still not sure about this) and why the fan died after a few hours of operation?

One more point: In the instructions it says something about a "3 amp fused connection unit", but in my installation there was no such thing.

It initially worked. It seemed very weak, but I assumed that this is how it was supposed to be.
Yup - that would be my assumption too.

o26h.jpg

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It wouldn't work at all without a link.

Therefore it makes no difference to the speed.

The manufacturer's instructions must be followed.
There is no reason electrically for fitting a fuse other than the manufacturer has made the product unsuitable for its known intended use.

It wouldn't work at all without a link.

Well, it certainly made some sound like it was working (but as I said it was weak). As you can see from the picture I couldn't see the fan rotating, but it sounded like it did.

And there was certainly no link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back