Wiring for new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

am I correct in thinking I can still run my own wiring and just have the part P fella connect up and inspect??

If so how do I run wires inside this roof to be within regulations??

Can I 'spur' the new extension into the existing ring main as they did with the old conservatory??

many thanks,

Graham

Sponsored Links
am I correct in thinking I can still run my own wiring and just have the part P fella connect up and inspect??
No.

If so how do I run wires inside this roof to be within regulations??
This is very important, as a screw-up here might mean no completion certificate for the entire extension:

When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say, or allow to be said, or tacitly accept, would be the way that you would ensure that the electrical installation work would comply with Part P?

Can I 'spur' the new extension into the existing ring main as they did with the old conservatory??
Almost certainly not.

Will there be celotex?

The best way is, get your electrician to do the whole job; and you should have a trouble free installation.

He may allow you to help, by fitting boxes and drilling holes, but it's hardly worth it, and you'd probably get on his nerves.

You did ask.

Given the other posts on this extension, it appears there are no drawings or detailed plans for it.

Sponsored Links
You are indeed partially correct, no detailed plans and drawings as I specified a rough build plan for the basic building work so that's what I got . It does state that electrical installation should comply to BS*** and be done by a competent person.

The plans have been excellent thus far for a DIY build.

I am thinking ahead about wiring but looks like I have to consult an electrician to do it all.

Very frustrating when I have always done my own electrical work, electrical engineering background, but health & safety does get in the way !!

Graham

It does state that electrical installation should comply to BS*** and be done by a competent person.
Realistically, you will need to have someone install it for you.

While you could do some of it with their supervision, as mentioned already, this is not likely to save either time or money in this instance.

Those jobs where it is sensible to do some of the work yourself are usually things such as digging trenches for cables to sheds, where it would be silly to pay an electrician to do it.

'Health and safety' has nothing to do with it. You can still do all of your own electrical work, provided it is done properly, which does require that you already know how to do it, comply with BS7671 and the relevant Building Regulations, including such things as not installing recessed downlights into the ceiling which require huge holes cut into the insulation etc.

The existing circuits in the house should be extended properly into the new extension - connecting everything via a 13A fused spur is a bodge often used by conservatory people. It's not dangerous - it just limits the total electrical load in the conservatory to 13A.

People with a an electrical engineering or electronics background seem to be the worst when it comes to electrical installations!

No, I am not one of those fools who do it on a building notice !!!

I have re wired several houses successfully myself but never a roof like the one I am dealing with, and not since part P came in.

I am competent but do not know the exact regs now, hence my question!

No, I am not one of those fools who do it on a building notice !!!
Good-oh. Although I'm surprised that you managed to do a full plans submission with no detailed plans or drawings.

I have re wired several houses successfully myself but never a roof like the one I am dealing with, and not since part P came in.
Do you still have your test equipment?

Is it calibrated?

When you did rewires before, how did you find out what the regulations were then?

I am competent but do not know the exact regs now, hence my question!
I'm pretty certain that your LABC will not regard you as competent.

Woah, test equipment, apart from circuit mains tester, errr no !

Full re wires of my houses and other peoples but before part P spoilt the fun.

Electrics are not difficult but given the current regs and requirement for calibrated test equipment I will hand it over to a qualified electrician !

Thanks all for the input

Graham

Full re wires of my houses and other peoples but before part P spoilt the fun.
Part P did not introduce a requirement for testing - that always existed.

But if it has stopped your dangerous and irresponsible behaviour in subjecting other people to your incompetent rewires then that's goodness.

Electrics are not difficult
To difficult for you to grasp though.

but given the current regs and requirement for calibrated test equipment I will hand it over to a qualified electrician !
Which you should have done on every single one of your previous rewires.

Strange comment for first post after two years.

What was it you found so distasteful in this thread?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back